2015 Garden Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfssms

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wanna build an auquaponics setup, grow vegies and fish at the same time.
[Broken External Image]

Tilapia garden farms in OKC does this on a fairly large scale. They keep about 3K mature fish to feed their greenhouse and ground plants.

like2shoot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We're just getting started this year. Gonna start off container gardening. I've got 2 30 gallon rubber troughs that I'll start with. I've also got some leftover plastic containers that we get mineral in for our cows that would make good containers also. Probably a few chickens before too long.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I put in a small heirloom wheat crop at my sister's farm in Rush Springs in the fall, so far the Deer have loved it. As it gets closer to maturity, I'll have to fence it or do something to discourage the deer so I can multiply my seed. I have some oats and other crops I'll be putting in the ground here pretty quickly. All are heirloom seedstock.

Jeff405

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What did you not like about your raised garden?

We did this cause our big dog was peeing in the garden. So the raised garden got it high enough where he couldn't anymore. It takes square footage away from the garden area the way they are setup with rows inbetween. The pallets were hard to get them screwed together cause the wood is thin. We used garden weed barrier fabric to line the boxes and it has already started to tear. I wish I would have used something other than pallets, maybe solid sides would have been better, but the pallets were free.
20141227_103530.jpg

Jeff405

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I might do that this year, but he can wiz about 1.5ft out so I'll have to set it farther out. I used fishing line a couple years ago and he's pretty good about staying out, he just want to mark everything, everytime he goes out.

Yourshoesareuntied

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I got some b-day loot last week and I had to get some seeds going. The system is is really impressive, Im using some hydroponic tech to get the seeds going. just three days in and my lettuce has already burst through the top, and I can see the other seeds have bright green little buds that should come out of the rock wool any day now..my other seeds are Cilantro, Basil, Parsley, and Oregano.

View attachment 45527 View attachment 45529

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I planted cilantro in a 10 gallon pot on the patio. Kept us in fresh cilantro for awhile. During the summer it went to seed. (another spice but I can't remember the name) We didn't pick or process the seed, but the next spring, we had cilantro growing all over the yard. Birds I suspect.
Picked some early, but after mowing, it never came back. Its like an invasive weed!

Yourshoesareuntied

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I planted cilantro in a 10 gallon pot on the patio. Kept us in fresh cilantro for awhile. During the summer it went to seed. (another spice but I can't remember the name) We didn't pick or process the seed, but the next spring, we had cilantro growing all over the yard. Birds I suspect.
Picked some early, but after mowing, it never came back. Its like an invasive weed!

When Cilantro goes to seed its called coriander, does the cilantro taste the same after it goes to seed?

Latest posts

Top Bottom