2015 Garden Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When Cilantro goes to seed its called coriander, does the cilantro taste the same after it goes to seed?
Thanks for the reminder. Your correct.
When it goes to seed, there are very few to no more leaves, so it goes from one spice to another. Reaches the end of its life cycle, or something. Could have been the pot was in full sun and got too hot? Don't know.
Chives and Garlic Chives do well in full sun in bigger pots.
I've had some in the same pot for 10 years now. They also spread into the yard. The garlic chives put on a pretty blue flower. I've dipped the flower into ranch dressing to eat the, but mostly use them for garnish.

pcolaboy

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do you use 5gal bucket???? And if so do you cut them down, to save on soil. Is there another bucket, out there that I could use???? Thanks, Mike

Yourshoesareuntied

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Do you use 5gal bucket???? And if so do you cut them down, to save on soil. Is there another bucket, out there that I could use???? Thanks, Mike

Not sure who were asking, but for me this is was the inspiration behind the system I am using this year. Some youtube video searches would be Earth Bucket, or self watering bucket.

[video=youtube_share;hIqssok6iXI]http://youtu.be/hIqssok6iXI[/video]

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

I use the foam flower pots from Lowes. They are 2" thick, and look like terra cotta pots. The insulation will keep the soil at a more constant temperature if left out in the full sun. Ours are out around the pool, so we didn't want to use buckets.

I like the idea of that off grid system. ^^^^^ Pretty cool idea.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wife got the dining room window full of starters.
Lettuces
Spinach
Bell peppers
Squash
Zucchini
Eggplant
Tomatoes

Getting the green house situated.

Eagle Eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The ketchup and fries plant

knf-2_custom-dec2b684ccb9e65ea37ae17e46ef21298dd05e65-s200-c85.jpg

Check it out here
http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2015/02/12/385459778/gardeners-twofer-first-ketchup-n-fries-plant-hits-u-s-market

Yourshoesareuntied

Sharpshooter
Reaction score

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Cool starter setup^^^^

Keep looking at last years garden still in the cages, thinking I need to get started. Already seeing the local nursery advertising onions, etc.

Latest posts

Top Bottom