2015 Kia Sportage EX AWD Reviews/Red Flags

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My sister is looking at a used

2015 Kia Sportage EX AWD for my niece who recently turned 16.

Do any of you have some feedback on whether or not they are reliable or one to stay away from?

THANK YOU!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We have a 13 Kia Sorento that has been rock solid for 130 some thousand miles now. Needs rear shocks, but still runs and rides great.
The Sportage may be one that was in a recall about the security system. Seems thieves could hot wire it pretty easily for theft causing the insurance to go up in some places where theft was high.
It's a free software upgrade at the dealership for a fix.

AKmoose

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Stepmom just traded in her 17 Soul after dad passed, was using oil between changes. Seems like I remember reading somewhere that that year range Kia's used low tension piston rings to meet the gov fuel standards, not sure how true that is but would explain the oil issue.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just bought my daughter a 2021.

One issue that seems fairly common is a stuck pcv. They are easy to check.

The faulty pcv causes sludge buildup in the engine and it will use oil. Pull the oil fill cap and check the end of the cap and shine a light in the valve cover and look for buildup.

How many miles?

Letfreedomring

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If it uses a timing belt instead of chain, don't put off maintenance/replacement and if'n it is direct injected, the intake valves are known to coke up due to not having injectors spray cleaning them. Walnut shell blasting is preferred treatment if previous owners haven't kept up with periodic sea foam cleanings. Dealer BG upper intake cleanings are crazy expensive otherwise.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just bought my daughter a 2021.

One issue that seems fairly common is a stuck pcv. They are easy to check.

The faulty pcv causes sludge buildup in the engine and it will use oil. Pull the oil fill cap and check the end of the cap and shine a light in the valve cover and look for buildup.

How many miles?
73K-75K.
Appreciate the info.

Latest posts

Top Bottom