2017 Deer hunting results/stories

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CGS1

I'm Retired, Do It Yourself.
Special Hen
Reaction score
Saturday opening morning I finally shot my first buck. He ain't much on headgear, a 5 pointer, but I needed to get that first buck under my belt. I love filling the freezer with meat. That makes three this season on ice.

Next year going for a real wall hanger!View attachment 109842
CONGRATS

CGS1

Special Hen
Reaction score
Nov. 21-2017
Young mans first Deer.
North of Stonewall,Ok.
This is one of mine(CGS1)
Taken on same property.

Attachments

• pix162570501-1.jpg
    pix162570501-1.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 193

slas

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Last week I was at my regular place hunting, my only place. The place where I've only seen a few bucks in the 3 years there, and was fortunate enough to get a nice one during muzzleloader season. I was watching a small 4 point and some does about 250 yards away playing and running in and out of the treeline. Then out walked a big bodied guy that looked like an elk from my vantage point. The small buck ran away as he strutted in, obviously in charge. I watched him nervously through my scope, waiting for a shot as he strutted along the treeline, but he wouldn't stop. Just when I thought he was going to be out of sight he finally stopped broadside, but I was looking at a hear/lung shot through some tall grass. I wasn't sure, but it would be my last chance, so I took it. He jumped and took off to the north into the thicket. I was feeling pretty confident and went to look for him. Well, 3 hours later I still had not found a drop of blood and was cut up and bleeding from the thorns in the thicket. In my short years of hunting I've yet to lose a deer so I was feeling pretty disgusted with myself. The nicest buck I've ever had a shot at and I have no idea where he is. I finally gave up for the day only to return the next day and spend a couple of more hours wandering around hoping to find him. I didn't. I laid in bed those couple of nights and went over the shot placement and direction he ran time after time. I had hoped that maybe I had missed him, but he jumped straight up with his tail tucked, and after all my practice at 200 yards I couldn't convince myself I had missed him. I couldn't help but think he was nearby and I just couldn't find, or see him. I also realized how bad my tracking skills were and in all my excitement I couldn't recall where he was exactly when I hit him. Instead of taking the time after the shot and marking the spot in my mind with some trees or other type of placement, when I got there I wasn't sure. I was just too excited.

Well, this morning I was out again in my usual place. I was paying close attention to the crows since my buddy told me they could possibly help show where my lost buck might be down. I noticed they we landing on the group about 150 yards from my blind, but south of where I shot the buck. I definitely saw him run north. After my time in the blind I decided to walk the fenceline towards the crows and I'll be damed if I didn't see my buck lying in the high grass, or what picked bones were left of him anyways. He was about 40 yards south of where I shot him. It looked like he ran into the thicket to the north, then doubled back south along the fence line, all which was lower ground so couldn't see him. It was bitter sweet to find him, at least knowing the shot was good and he wasn't off suffering with a gut shot or similar. I know most hunters have similar experiences. I guess it was just my turn.

Attachments

• 20171125_093907.jpg
    20171125_093907.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 181

CGS1

Special Hen
Reaction score
Last week I was at my regular place hunting, my only place. The place where I've only seen a few bucks in the 3 years there, and was fortunate enough to get a nice one during muzzleloader season. I was watching a small 4 point and some does about 250 yards away playing and running in and out of the treeline. Then out walked a big bodied guy that looked like an elk from my vantage point. The small buck ran away as he strutted in, obviously in charge. I watched him nervously through my scope, waiting for a shot as he strutted along the treeline, but he wouldn't stop. Just when I thought he was going to be out of sight he finally stopped broadside, but I was looking at a hear/lung shot through some tall grass. I wasn't sure, but it would be my last chance, so I took it. He jumped and took off to the north into the thicket. I was feeling pretty confident and went to look for him. Well, 3 hours later I still had not found a drop of blood and was cut up and bleeding from the thorns in the thicket. In my short years of hunting I've yet to lose a deer so I was feeling pretty disgusted with myself. The nicest buck I've ever had a shot at and I have no idea where he is. I finally gave up for the day only to return the next day and spend a couple of more hours wandering around hoping to find him. I didn't. I laid in bed those couple of nights and went over the shot placement and direction he ran time after time. I had hoped that maybe I had missed him, but he jumped straight up with his tail tucked, and after all my practice at 200 yards I couldn't convince myself I had missed him. I couldn't help but think he was nearby and I just couldn't find, or see him. I also realized how bad my tracking skills were and in all my excitement I couldn't recall where he was exactly when I hit him. Instead of taking the time after the shot and marking the spot in my mind with some trees or other type of placement, when I got there I wasn't sure. I was just too excited.

Well, this morning I was out again in my usual place. I was paying close attention to the crows since my buddy told me they could possibly help show where my lost buck might be down. I noticed they we landing on the group about 150 yards from my blind, but south of where I shot the buck. I definitely saw him run north. After my time in the blind I decided to walk the fenceline towards the crows and I'll be damed if I didn't see my buck lying in the high grass, or what picked bones were left of him anyways. He was about 40 yards south of where I shot him. It looked like he ran into the thicket to the north, then doubled back south along the fence line, all which was lower ground so couldn't see him. It was bitter sweet to find him, at least knowing the shot was good and he wasn't off suffering with a gut shot or similar. I know most hunters have similar experiences. I guess it was just my turn.
Glad you did find him.
It happens man.

Latest posts

Top Bottom