2017 Rut

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SnowCamo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Saw something today I have never seen in all my years of hunting. As previously mentioned, the little bucks are chasing all over my property and I'm seeing new scrapes daily. While on the stand this morning, a 2 1/2 year old buck came running in and slammed on the brakes right in front of my stand, just before reaching a scrape. He walked to the scrape, peed, then had a butt explosion similar to a feeder steer new on wheat pasture. He then hunkered down over the scrape and started squatting. His squatting soon turned to hunching, like a dog would hump your leg. But this buck wasn't humping anything but air. This went on for a couple minutes until he lifted his left leg off the ground and started quivering feverishly until he jizzed all over the scrape. I've never seen that before, nor heard of bucks ejaculating into a scrape, but that's exactly what this one did.

A guide to taking your mock scrapes to an entirely new level!

tslabaugh

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, mine evening didn't involve any young bucks jizzing in my presence, but I did get a chance to try out my Lone Wolf Assault 2 and Hawk Helium sticks. Easier than expected, but didn't see a damn deer! The minute I get to the bottom of the tree and packing up, I hear a deer blow at me. Just my luck!

Atleast, I was hunting the wind so it shouldn't have smelled me.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had one little spike buck chase a doe around the food plot. Make about a round, stop, eat some wheat, and chase a little more.
I was pinned in the stand by a couple of other does and another spike buck. I was throwing old soup and Vienna Sausage cans at them to make them leave, but they ignored the hint. Finally just got out and they ran off when the stand creaked. Wind in my favor so hopefully they didn't associate it with a human.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Heavy movement this weekend in Pushmataha County. Does,yearlings, a couple spikes, a 6 point and 1 10 point. My son was using a recurve this weekend and made a clean miss on the 10 point chasing a doe. His BIL nailed the 10 point. The buck did not appear to be more than a 2 1/2 year old. The rack was a small basket, but the BIL was happy with his harvest

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rut is definitely firing up around Piedmont. We saw all the little buck activity the last two mornings, then this evening, my daughter had 3 basket racks and a mature 8 pt in the field. She said the 8 pt was fighting the little guys off her decoy, but he was too far for her to shoot. I sneaked up to her stand and tried to grunt him in closer for her. He wouldn't come in but this guy came in from about 350 yards out. He walked in with his head down and the others scattered. He locked up at 200 yards and she was afraid she couldn't make the shot, so I rested the 50 caliber Ruger on a t-post and pulled the trigger, then heard the distinctive "whop!" Buck down!

Attachments

• IMG_2825.JPG
    IMG_2825.JPG
    70.8 KB · Views: 184
  • image001.png
    image001.png
    256.3 KB · Views: 217

Latest posts

Top Bottom