2019 Deer Hunting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hello all, I’m new of course but I’m going to jump right in and ask have y’all seen rut activity? I kid you not last night I seen a 2 year old buck running a doe like crazy. He was even marking up the place.

First off, welcome to the board. Your profile indicates you’re in Washington county. My place is in Alfalfa county at about the same latitude, so the activity should be about the same. I’d say we’re still about 2 weeks away from the “rut”, but I saw quite a bit of pre-rut activity when I was at my place last weekend. I saw several small scrapes, and the young bucks were trying really hard to find some hot lovin’ but couldn’t get the does to cooperate.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Finally got this guy at 7:55am this morning. Just getting around to posting because I had to get him tended to quickly in order to get my daughter to her softball tournament.

It was so still and quiet this morning that I decided to get in my stand almost an hour before shooting light. I watched doe in the dark and sat like a statue. A fawn saw me in the stand and literally walked up to my ladder and looked up at me for 5 mins, then decided I wasn’t a threat and went back to eating.

I had a fork come in to eat with the doe, then about 20 mins later, they all looked up and turned to look at a main trail. Less than 5 mins later, this guy comes walking by. Not in to the feeders, but passing by. I had a hole a little bigger than a basketball to shoot through so when he hit that spot, I dropped the hammer. The T/C Omega loaded with 120 gr of 777 Magnum and Hornady SST sabots at 50 yds punched right through him. Double lung and no shoulder meat touched. He ran maybe 60 yds. I was just glad he had enough life to get up and out of the creek he ran through after I shot him. I heard him crash, but any rookie could have followed the blood trail he left.

Field dressed just under 200 lbs at 188. Biggest bodied deer I have ever taken.
View attachment 145918 View attachment 145919 View attachment 145920

Congrats great buck!!!!!

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Lots deer moving this evening. Passed on one that I may regret, hopefully one of the kids will get a shot at him. When I came out of the timber there were close to 50 deer out feeding, small bucks dogging does all over, nothing serious yet. Another week or so, just like every year :)

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I didn't bother eating dinner. Damn near cried in the stand. It's been 6 years of bad luck, lack of time and lack of opportunities on mature deer.

I am glad to have had the opportunity at least.

An opportunity is what I'm after as well. I went out yesterday afternoon . . .

Bumped some deer on the way in . . . saw a couple of does and little 6 pt right about dark. And then bumped more on the way out.

Frustrating to say the least.

Southernlady

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
How do y’all feel about rifle season opening so late this year? Basically going to miss the heat. I would love to bow hunt and will sure try but my set up for now isn’t ideal
I have to hunt a hay meadow and catch them when they move through. I’m very limited and across from my location it’s hunted hard by several. Just a crap shoot honestly!

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How do y’all feel about rifle season opening so late this year? Basically going to miss the heat. I would love to bow hunt and will sure try but my set up for now isn’t ideal
I have to hunt a hay meadow and catch them when they move through. I’m very limited and across from my location it’s hunted hard by several. Just a crap shoot honestly!
Welcome to OSA. It is always opens the Saturday before Thanksgiving. I think it is great if rifle season misses the rut. Bucks need some protection. Doe numbers need to come down in much of the state.

SnowCamo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have some family that loves hunting an area of public land. We go with them about once a year and todays that day.
I have my purple lawn chair and a couple honey buns so I’m going to sit and think about what’s in front of my stand.
It’ll be a fun day though and I get to look at something different.

Latest posts

Top Bottom