2021 dove season thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Shot a limit this evening. Couldn’t find three in the tall Johnson grass, so stopped shooting at 12 birds in hand.
Was hunting over a stubble field but when field dressing the birds, their crops were full of mostly grass seed with some wheat seeds mixed in.
22B6CD89-14C2-4433-9AE6-272B9CDB9818.jpeg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Love the Browning humpback Dennis. What gauge? Dad left me his Sweet 16. Just wish it was Belgium made.
It is a Belgium made Sweet 16. Manufactured in 1946 and bought by an Osage County Rancher returning from WWII for his wife. Stock was too long for her so it was replaced with a Bishop custom stock at her length. She fell ill and passed away before firing it. Rancher kept it oiled and in the family gun cabinet until he passed.
I got this intel from the son selling his dads Browning collection at a farm auction. Several dozen Belgian Browning's. He actually looked me up after winning the sale to let me know how special it was and that he needed the money was the only reason he let it go.
I confirmed it not being fired by looking at the bolt face and the lack of wear on the recoil operated barrel.
Debated for years about firing it, finally deciding that it's a gun and that is what it's intended purpose is.
I buy guns, never sell guns but a few junkers back in the day so the value of it being unfired didn't matter to me. My heirs can weep over that.
That shotgun and myself have became partners. When I do my job, it does its. Many more in the safes, but this is the go-to shotgun when I need to create a body count.
One of our OSA members That knows I'm a fan of the 16 ga contacted me a couple years ago with a potential deal on 16 ga ammo he ran on to. Ended up buying 7 cases at bargain prices, so it's unlikely I'll ever need more ammo with the stash already on hand.
It's #8 shot, one ounce European rounds that is 2.5" long vs the 2 3/4" American shells. Its shorter because the Europeans won't allow plastic wads in shot shells as they consider the wads as trash. These use felt wads that are biodegradable.
Better suited for double or single barrels as the Auto 5's are recoil operated and picky on recoil, but a little oil to keep things lubed moving smoothly and they work 95% of the time. Failure to eject is the only problem.
The 1 1/8 oz loads in 7.5 shot work 100% from the other stash.

Latest posts

Top Bottom