2021 Waterfowl

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They're still around..........heading south on I-35 yesterday from Norman to Purcell at about half way there is a pond on the west side of the 'I' that was absolutely covered up with ducks and a fair amount of geese.

Last edited:

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My buddy and I went this morning and had a good short hunt.

The gate lock was froze and we messed with for five minutes till my buddy remembered that he had a can of de-icer rolling around in the floor of his truck, it only had a couple of squirts left in it but luckily that's all we needed to get the lock to open.

Heading down to the blind at least 40 ducks took to the air as we came over the last knoll leading to the blind to put out our decoys.......it was 21° and we had to break ice in the cove we are in to get the decoys set.

Bluebird clear sky and hardly any wind but we managed to get seven ducks (Gadwalls and Mallards) by 8:15 or so and then nothing was flying so we packed up and left about 10:45.......quite a few Teal came in within range this morning but we had already agreed again this hunt that we were only going to take bigger ducks.

I thought I was going to get my first ever Pintail this morning but I guess it wasn't meant to be.......two wide circled our decoys three times getting lower with each pass (but still just out of comfortable shooting range) but apparently something just didn't look right to them and veered off and left.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
My buddy and I went this morning and had a good short hunt.

The gate lock was froze and we messed with for five minutes till my buddy remembered that he had a can of de-icer rolling around in the floor of his truck, it only had a couple of squirts left in it but luckily that's all we needed to get the lock to open.

Heading down to the blind at least 40 ducks took to the air as we came over the last knoll leading to the blind to put out our decoys.......it was 21° and we had to break ice in the cove we are in to get the decoys set.

Bluebird clear sky and hardly any wind but we managed to get seven ducks (Gadwalls and Mallards) by 8:15 or so and then nothing was flying so we packed up and left about 10:45.......quite a few Teal came in within range this morning but we had already agreed again this hunt that we were only going to take bigger ducks.

I thought I was going to get my first ever Pintail this morning but I guess it wasn't meant to be.......two wide circled our decoys three times getting lower with each pass (but still just out of comfortable shooting range) but apparently something just didn't look right to them and veered off and left.
I've peed on a frozen lock more than once......whatever it takes to make it to the blind in time!! :)

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
(1-20-22)Salt Plains Weekly Waterfowl Survey: 7,259 Ducks, 13,897 Geese, 12,448 Sandhill Cranes and 32 Eagles.

Man those are weak numbers, terrible. As we've always said, once January arrives, where the geese go, so do the ducks. That's about a tenth of the geese that are normally here at this time of the year, well I should say until about 4 years ago that was the norm.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My son was up last weekend with his new pup and took her to the river a few times just to get her out in the field. He said there were a few ducks on the river but not many. All the ducks that congregate on the feedlot across the road from the house give the illusion that there are a lot of duck up there, but in reality, I think refuge may be doing their count at the feedlot to boost their published numbers.:anyone:

Latest posts

Top Bottom