2023 Garden thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Am I being impatient or does it seem like tomatoes are taking awhile to ripen for you guys? I’ve got about 15-20 on my 3 varieties and they are taking forever to turn red. Had to pull a few romas off that were rotting on the vine.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Buddies garden that I contributed to has been putting lots of potatoes out. Different sizes, most tennis ball size with lots of little ones that we really like in fresh green beans and general cooking.
I counseled him before he did it saying it needed to be put on the side to turn into mulch, but he got Aspelund to bring in about two tons of fresh wood chips to put on the garden to be tilled into the ground. His thinking was that they would decay and be free fertilizer. My thinking is that in the decaying process they would rob nitrogen from the soil and require lots of fertilizer that he can't afford, but he went ahead and did it anyway.
His tomatoes are wilted with no blooms, the corn is yellow and not growing, squash plants are stagnant with little growth.
The sandy loam soil is like concrete now. Guess I was right, and I'm not paying today's prices for some nitrogen fertilizer to bail him out.
This is probably going to haunt that 1/4 acre garden for many years to come.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
IMG_20230612_222713359.jpg

HillsideDesolate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Buddies garden that I contributed to has been putting lots of potatoes out. Different sizes, most tennis ball size with lots of little ones that we really like in fresh green beans and general cooking.
I counseled him before he did it saying it needed to be put on the side to turn into mulch, but he got Aspelund to bring in about two tons of fresh wood chips to put on the garden to be tilled into the ground. His thinking was that they would decay and be free fertilizer. My thinking is that in the decaying process they would rob nitrogen from the soil and require lots of fertilizer that he can't afford, but he went ahead and did it anyway.
His tomatoes are wilted with no blooms, the corn is yellow and not growing, squash plants are stagnant with little growth.
The sandy loam soil is like concrete now. Guess I was right, and I'm not paying today's prices for some nitrogen fertilizer to bail him out.
Woodchips go on top the soil. Then they add nutrients as they decay. Maybe plant crimson clover and winter rye in fall then till in

CanadianRiverRat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
2 or 3 loads of chicken/turkey litter will fix it right up for next year, and be a crap-ton cheaper than comm. fertilizer (crap-ton....see what I did there lol)

Latest posts

Top Bottom