2023 Garden thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Made some plum juice today
IMG_20230619_210621633_HDR.jpg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Most of the onions pulled , still one little batch to go View attachment 386149View attachment 386150View attachment 386151
I need to put these in the barn to finish curing.View attachment 386159
Talk to me about curing onions. For the first time in my life, I'm getting big onions.
Grown in big insulated pots with potting soil.
I have to pick them in about 10 days, no matter the size. School me on the curing process. I've never heard of this variety and didn't save the tag. Bought at Attwoods.

HillsideDesolate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Talk to me about curing onions. For the first time in my life, I'm getting big onions.
I have to pick them in about 10 days, no matter the size. School me on the curing process. I've never heard of this variety and didn't save the tag. Bought at Attwoods.
They just need to dry out in the shade on a rack with airflow

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Let the tops completely dry then you can cut the dry tops leaving a couple inches. It helps prevent bacteria from entering the onion by sealing it off. It's best if you can harvest with dry conditions. Do not wash the dirt off. You can shake the excess off the roots.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Let the tops completely dry then you can cut the dry tops leaving a couple inches. It helps prevent bacteria from entering the onion by sealing it off. It's best if you can harvest with dry conditions. Do not wash the dirt off. You can shake the excess off the roots.
They may have to rest in a paper sack for a couple days after picking, but that shouldn't hurt.

Latest posts

Top Bottom