27 Years Ago Today

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeneW

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I took the military physical at the Murrah building in 1980. The recruiter was pissed that I didn't pass the physical. I was trying to join up for the GI Benefits. Anyway, it was weird to realize I'd spent some time in the building now it was a pile of rubble.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had just worked the night shift (2300-0700) got home, went to bed around 9ish. My wife came home from work about 10:30am, woke me up telling me about it. I called the chief and he told me to go ahead and go back to bed, but be ready to roll.

I can remember several nights after that just stsring at the TV with no reporters, no commentary, no nothing, but just the camera rolling, showing this image...

the-north-side-of-the-albert-p-murrah-f.jpg

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had just worked the night shift (2300-0700) got home, went to bed around 9ish. My wife came home from work about 10:30am, woke me up telling me about it. I called the chief and he told me to go ahead and go back to bed, but be ready to roll.

I can remember several nights after that just stsring at the TV with no reporters, no commentary, no nothing, but just the camera rolling, showing this image...

View attachment 267228
Kind of the same deal although I was working 3-11 at the time, I was asleep and didn't learn until later what happened.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I took the military physical at the Murrah building in 1980. The recruiter was pissed that I didn't pass the physical. I was trying to join up for the GI Benefits. Anyway, it was weird to realize I'd spent some time in the building now it was a pile of rubble.
The company my dad worked for had a computer installation at the SW Bell offices in downtown, and he spent a lot of time working in their offices in the mornings. He said he was often walking past the Murrah Building at 9am on weekday mornings.

One of his friends and former coworkers had an auto service center at 6th and Hudson. I got to see it on TV--it was on the perimeter, with crime tape strung across the drive, a Humvee parked in its drive, and a military dude carrying an M-16 on guard. Also, the rear axle from the truck landed on one of the cars stored on the back side of his shop...

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was ten years old. I was sitting at home sick with the chicken pox. We had the living room windows open and I heard what sounded like a distant gun shot. Not very loud, but I heard it 130 miles away. A couple moments later the news broke in and said there had been a gas line explosion in Oklahoma city. Then, a couple minutes later they changed it to an explosion. I will never forget it. My grandma heard it too, she thought it was blasting over by the port of catoosa.

Latest posts

Top Bottom