300 PRC input needed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forindooruseonly

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't have a Bergara but I've played with the PRC a bit in a Remington. The only real benefit of a factory chambered PRC over a Win Mag is that they are throated and have a barrel twist rate to accept the heaviest of bullets, whereas with the Win Mag you'd have to have a custom barrel, and depending on the firearm, different magazine boxes and some work to ensure the COAL will fit. Wyatt makes boxes to fit long cartridges in Remington Actions, so it's not new. That has been done for a long time already. In terms of the ballistics, they are essentially identical. Oh, and they aren't a belted case, for those reloaders that don't like dealing with the belted case of the Win Mag.

I guess any comment I make would depend on what you wanted to do with it. For hunting? Not worth the trouble. For serious long range target work or competition? Maybe, but I'm not convinced it's the best choice. Just to get it because it's there and a hot cartridge right now with the sniper crowd and is a fun toy? Sure, why not.

GunnyH

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I shoot a Savage Elite Precision in 300 PRC. It's incredible, it has a 1-8.5 twist so it likes the heavy 30 cal bullets. I used to shoot a 300 WM and have a much greater range of bullets to shoot.

redleg10

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just an update for those interested. First time at the range today for a initial barrel break in per owners manual. Surprised at the amount of recoil or lack of. I have a 308 win that shoots harder. I could shoot this all day with no problem. Was shooting 185 grain HPBT at over 3100 FPS. Last 3 shots were sub MOA with no load development. Got an Arkin 5-25 x56 scope on it and impressed with the clarity on high magnification.

Latest posts

Top Bottom