308: AR10 vs Rem 700

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeadEyeDick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ok, here is my situation. im about to start the process of building my next long range rifle. im going with the 308, but im kinda torn between the ar or the remmy. i love shooting the ar style. but building the ar is KINDA confusing for me. as to where i could just buy a remmy and change a few things to make the rifle i want. that being said, im wanting a sniper rifle. i would like to get into the comps someday. but, this gun would only be used for long range targets and maybe some hunting.

questions, how much accuracy, if any, is actually lost when using semi auto and not bolt?

with ar10 parts, which companies parts are compatible with other companies parts?

any advice, recent experience and/or opinions would kick ass. thanks!

shortgrass

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The guys that compete in those NRA Long Range Tactical matches are all shooting 6.5mm bolt action rifles. .260 Remington, 6.5 x 47 Lapua, 6.5mm Creedmore. At 2800fps a 140g 6.5mm MATCH bullet will remain supersonic at a greater distance than the .308 Winchester will. Once your projectile falls to sub-sonic velocities stability in flight is reduced and accuracy suffers.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
after posting on the hide and doing some more research, i think i will go with the 6.5 grendel. anyone got history with that round?

The cool thing about the Grendel is that it can be used in any AR15 platform, which as you know is almost absolutely universal. So all you have to do is swap in the Grendel upper. The AR10 type rifles are not interchangeable among different manufacturers, since it never hit the prime time in the military.
The Grendel was basically designed as a 'tweener, to fit in between the 5.56 and the 7.62. However, they also did a lot of research to look at the long range ballistics. It can shoot the long, heavy match bullets as well, and at speeds comparable to those listed above. The only drawback to the Grendel, is since it has a larger case the center axis will sit relatively lower in the magazine. That combined with the sharp shoulder angle would possibly give more problems with reliability and failure to feed. In the real world, I haven't heard much about that being an issue. I'm not saying it isn't an issue, but I just haven't heard about it yet.

Ksmirk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You could always step up to an AR10 and shoot the 260! as for building on an AR15 platform I saw some really cool rounds I think Olympic is working on based on the WSSM cases anywhere from .224-.308 caliber, I saw a 308 WSSM the other day and it was a cute little round, performance I couldn't tell ya. Going with a gas gun you may loose a touch of velocity but I doubt you would realize it, my reason for a bolt gun is so I don't have to chase brass and as much time as I spend on brass prep I hate to loose them. Later,

Kirk

30BulletHoles

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You could always step up to an AR10 and shoot the 260! as for building on an AR15 platform I saw some really cool rounds I think Olympic is working on based on the WSSM cases anywhere from .224-.308 caliber, I saw a 308 WSSM the other day and it was a cute little round, performance I couldn't tell ya. Going with a gas gun you may loose a touch of velocity but I doubt you would realize it, my reason for a bolt gun is so I don't have to chase brass and as much time as I spend on brass prep I hate to loose them. Later,

Kirk

.308 wssm?

.223wssm .270wsm
.243wssm .7mmwsm
.25wssm .300wsm
.325wsm

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
after posting on the hide and doing some more research, i think i will go with the 6.5 grendel. anyone got history with that round?

Hope you reload... if not, I would either invest in some reloading equipment and some howto's or just avoid 6.5 Grendel completely if you plan on shooting a lot of rounds through it.

Its an awesome round, but it is expensive unless you reload.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hope you reload... if not, I would either invest in some reloading equipment and some howto's or just avoid 6.5 Grendel completely if you plan on shooting a lot of rounds through it.

Its an awesome round, but it is expensive unless you reload.

I thought Wolf was making Grendel ammo, brass cased, for like $0.50 per round.

Latest posts

Top Bottom