308: AR10 vs Rem 700

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fltmedic

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
you are correct doctorjj Wolf does make 6.5 in several different grains such as 110,120,and 123 and Cabelas even sales it for 14.00 a box. Still if I were shooting long range and and for extreme accuracy Wolf would not be my first choice of ammo like ez-bake said you would be better off to reload you have alot more quality control.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
.243 WSSM

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v252_dennishoddy_IMG_0125.jpg

Reaction score
A true long range precision rifle should be almost always be a turnbolt rifle, in my opinion. Heavy config, make and specific config depends on budget. Chambering also depends on budget, but your 6.5mm and 7.0mm chamberings significantly outperform .30 cal chamberings at long ranges, as do most 6.0mm chamberings. Not to mention they are easier on the shoulder. There's a reason most F class comp. winners run with 26-30" HB turnbolts chambered in 6.5-.284 Norma or similar.

But it really depends upon what YOU consider long range? 200 yards? 300 yards? 400, 500, 600, 700, 800, 900, 1000, 1250, 1500, a mile, more?

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A true long range precision rifle should be almost always be a turnbolt rifle, in my opinion. Heavy config, make and specific config depends on budget. Chambering also depends on budget, but your 6.5mm and 7.0mm chamberings significantly outperform .30 cal chamberings at long ranges, as do most 6.0mm chamberings. Not to mention they are easier on the shoulder. There's a reason most F class comp. winners run with 26-30" HB turnbolts chambered in 6.5-.284 Norma or similar.

But it really depends upon what YOU consider long range? 200 yards? 300 yards? 400, 500, 600, 700, 800, 900, 1000, 1250, 1500, a mile, more?

I agree on the bolt being the true precision long range platform. And I agree about the 6/7mm outperformace over .30s. However, I have a 7mm variant that does not mesh with the "easier on the shoulder" part. Granted, I have a bad rotator cuff, but my 7mm is a real "knock your arm outta the socket" gun,... literally.

gmar

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
after posting on the hide and doing some more research, i think i will go with the 6.5 grendel. anyone got history with that round?

I have a Grendel and absolutely love it. I like the different types of ammo I can shoot with it. I can go anywhere from 90 g varmint to 140 g deer/hog and everthing inbetween. If you go with the Grendel, you won't be disappointed. Plus the recoil on the Grendel is barely more than my AR. From other people I've talked to, if you were to get a muzzle brake it would be like shooting a BB gun.

Here's mine:

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

The only drawback to the Grendel, is since it has a larger case the center axis will sit relatively lower in the magazine. That combined with the sharp shoulder angle would possibly give more problems with reliability and failure to feed.

You can't use a 5.56 magazine for the Grendel due to the difference in the lips of the magazine and some of the old magazines from C Products have had problems with the angle of the feed ramps of the Grendels but the new ones are good to go. I have the 10 round magazine that came from Alexander Arms and two 25 round C Prouducts magazines and never had a failure to feed problem yet.

Hope you reload... if not, I would either invest in some reloading equipment and some howto's or just avoid 6.5 Grendel completely if you plan on shooting a lot of rounds through it.

Its an awesome round, but it is expensive unless you reload.

By reloading, I think I figured it costs me approximately .41 per round for the Grendel, which is about the same if I were to buy .223 for my AR.

I thought Wolf was making Grendel ammo, brass cased, for like $0.50 per round.

Wolf is making Grendle ammo but its almost impossible to find. Everywhere you look, its on backorder due to a problem with their plant in Serbia.

Latest posts

Top Bottom