4x4 trails

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dodge doesn't make full size trucks any more. It's Ram.

This caught me a little sideways so I looked it up.

In an effort to boost market and get rid of the stigma, Fiat Chrysler changed the name from Dodge Ram to just Ram. This is just a marketing effort. Manufacturing did not change. The last I checked, in 2017, the trucks were made in Mexico.

• RAM It’s All in the Name! On November 4th 2009 Chrysler Group LLC announced the Ram branded trucks will official change the name from Dodge RAM to “RAM”. With this change Dodge separated the Dodge brand and created a whole new lifestyle of trucks that are in its 4th generation of trucks. The logo features the well known head of a ram on the grill.

It's Official: Ram Truck Brand Split Off From Dodge Brand; Good Idea?
Scott EvansOct 5, 2009
The Italian crew that's now calling the shots at Chrysler made it official today: the Dodge Ram truck brand is being split away from the Dodge car brand to better focus each brand. Also announced were several changes to upper management.

"This reorganization will allow us to protect and develop the unique nature of the product offerings within the Dodge brand," Chrysler/Fiat CEO Sergio Marchionne said in a statement.

The new brand strategy strips the Ramtrucks away from the Dodge brand and will use the Ram name on a number of consumer- and work-oriented vehicles believed to include light- and heavy-duty trucks, SUVs and cargo vans. The Dodge brand, meanwhile, will keep the Caravan and be refocused to better concentrate on performance cars. The split also gives management the ability sell or kill either brand separate from the other should financial circumstances require it. The Ram brand will be run by the head of Chrysler's Denver business center, Fred Diaz Jr., who will also take over as lead sales executive for the U.S.

Along with the brand shake-up, Chrysler-Fiat also announced some changes to its upper-management, surprising in that some of the positions were just filled a few months ago. First to go was Michael Accavitti, whom Marchionne had promoted to head of Dodge back in June when Chrysler emerged from bankruptcy. While Accavitti leaves "to pursue other interests," his responsibilities will be split between Diaz Jr. and Chrysler's Vice President of Design, Ralph Gilles, who will now run the Dodge car brand in addition to his duties as design chief.

Also out is Chrysler brand president and CEO Peter Fong, who resigned for personal reasons. Fong has been replaced by Lancia brand chief Olivier Francois, brought over from Fiat Group by Marchionne. Like Accavitti, Fong was named Chrysler brand chief by Marchionne back in June after Chrysler exited bankruptcy.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is just a marketing effort. Manufacturing did not change.

Correctomundo. Rams are the same best value trucks they've always been. Good looking, powerful motors, big comfy interiors. Not sure if they still fall apart around year six or not, but definitely the best value in trucks.

Side story, I was walking the local Ford lot while working a few weeks ago. They had an F-350 crew cab dually with all sorts of options... King Ranch, 4x4, two tone paint, etc... Sticker price was $113,000. It was as shocking as the first time seeing a $65k sticker on the first redesigned Tundras a decade ago. I thought then, nobody is gonna pay $6/k for a pickup. If only I'd known that was going to become the median price one day.

Latest posts

Top Bottom