4x4 trails

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know it's still a dodge, I was just getting a little jab at my friend, Gunbuffer. Take it easy fellas.

For the record, the last 2 trucks I had were both F150's, and were the best trucks I ever had.
I didn't go with Ford this time around because I think they're being stupid with their engine options right now, and I wasn't happy with the power coming from their V8. I'm not about to get a full size with a V6 either. That's blasphemy.
Not liking the new 7.3? 435 hp with 480lb of torque? All the towing forums I'm on are saying it's a beast of an engine.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know it's still a dodge, I was just getting a little jab at my friend, Gunbuffer. Take it easy fellas.

For the record, the last 2 trucks I had were both F150's, and were the best trucks I ever had.
I didn't go with Ford this time around because I think they're being stupid with their engine options right now, and I wasn't happy with the power coming from their V8. I'm not about to get a full size with a V6 either. That's blasphemy.
370 hp and 470 lbs of torque from a twin turbo v6 isn't bad numbers. Where the ecoboost excels is at higher altitudes because
the turbo's stuff the thin air into the cylinders much better than fuel injection.
In the mountains, compared to the Ram or the Chevy, the ecoboost is king. Lots of YouTube videos to prove that in comparisons.
I am liking the new 7.3 and they are offering the option of a 3:55 gearing, 3:73 or 4:30.
Gearing is the key to towing. 3:55 is for asphalt commando's and their fancy trucks. If one wants serious towing you must go with the 4:30. Mileage will suffer by about 2mpg vs the 3:55 according to all the videos I've watched.
My Tundra is 4:30 gearing. We have made every 7% grade in Colorado pulling 9000 lbs passing diesels with the hoods up and steam coming from the radiators on the side of the highway. Diesels are pulling machines with more torque than gassers but the newer ones just seem to have major issues with all the environmental issues. The treads on diesel trucks on OSA pretty much convinced me that a diesel will never be in my driveway. Adds $10 to the price of a gasser truck as well.
Looking to upgrade to a RV that will run about 12-14 thousand pounds so we are going to need a 3/4 ton truck, and Toyota doesn't make one. (BTW the 2021 Tundras will be running a V6 twin turbo. The V8 is out)
The 7.3 gasser Ford with 4:30 gears is in our future.

Ford's 7.3-Liter V-8 Can Make 600 Naturally-Aspirated Horsepower With Basic Mods
"Ford's new 7.3-liter engine. Six-bolt mains, an iron block and a forged crank all contribute to stout reliability for truck duty—and they happen to be great news for drag racers. Brian says the 446-cubic-inch engine can probably be bored out to 480 cubes, but with a factory stroke of nearly four inches, it's probably not going much farther than that. Lots of coolant flow will keep this engine alive."
https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-ca...turally-aspirated-horsepower-with-basic-mods/

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom