59 years old and the heat is finally getting to me.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big House

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been in the petroleum industry for almost 15 years. The end product. Meaning, I test a lot a gas stations, military bases, airports, car rental facilities and anything else that are EPA regulated. Testing new installs from the tanks to the sensors that monitor for leaks. This week I was Miami FL area, I started having issues with breathing, fatigue and dizziness. Heat index was 126 with 92% humidity. I do take my blood pressure daily, due to medication for HBP. It was fine. I do try to stay hydrated, but sometimes I get so focused on working that I forget to do my part and take breaks to hydrate and cool down.

I've been asked to move into a management position, but there is a significant pay cut. I've turned them down three times in the past 10 years. Money is too darn good to move down in pay. I may have to take a look at this option now.

I'm trying to stay in my current position until I'm 62, but in all honesty, I'm not sure I can do it.

I'm finished with my crying now. Carry on, my wayward son!

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's soooooo hot the birds are usin hot pad holders to pick worms.

I know what you mean brother. I was an outside man in San Antonio and in Houston at ht e ports and at the airports working on cameras Holy Hanna it was hot! I had to wear long sleeves to keep from getting sunburned, I had to buy a space blanket to fashion a cape for my back and neck. Especially my tools. Ever leave a socket or ratchet out in the blazing sun for about 5 minutes?

At 6 a.m. I walked out of the hotel and it was 99 degrees and 99% humidity. I literally melted right there. All day my attitude sucked and I could tell it was from the oppressive humidity. I kept away from everyone and did my job.

Oh yeah, try wearing a navy blue polyester uniform with a bullet resistant girdle directing traffic for hours on hot concrete for a parade. You just had to suck it up.

Last edited:

Adhdferret

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
I am 44 and it does the same to me, winter I can handle better, but you can only take so many clothes off, days like you mentioned I work at night. No job is worth your health.

I have found those canvas rings you freeze and put around your neck really help. It is just a stop gap, and children's aspirin to thin blood. I take 2 of them in the morning on those 100° days.

They kinda help me, but I don't take anything else.

Big House

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Most of the time its not so much the heat that gets you but humidity, might see if you can be transfered to a more northern or western climate in your work schedule.
I was a lifelong Okie up until 2016. Prepping for retirement now, if I live long enough to get there. Fortunately, the wife will be set, if I do expire sooner than later. I am missing the cold but not the snow and ice.

Big House

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am 44 and it does the same to me, winter I can handle better, but you can only take so many clothes off, days like you mentioned I work at night. No job is worth your health.

I have found those canvas rings you freeze and put around your neck really help. It is just a stop gap, and children's aspirin to thin blood. I take 2 of them in the morning on those 100° days.

They kinda help me, but I don't take anything else.
I have all the cool down stuff now. It helps immensely after a while. When I use this approach now it is usually after I've waiting too long. After 15 or 20 minutes I attempt to get busy again, it's a struggle to carry on.

Big House

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's soooooo hot the birds are usin hot pad holders to pick worms.

I know what you mean brother. I was an outside man in San Antonio and in Houston at ht e ports and at the airports working on cameras Holy Hanna it was hot! I had to wear long sleeves to keep from getting sunburned, I had to buy a space blanket to fashion a cape for my back and neck. Especially my tools. Ever leave a socket or ratchet out in the blazing sun for about 5 minutes?

At 6 a.m. I walked out of the hotel and it was 99 degrees and 99% humidity. I literally melted right there. All day my attitude sucked and I could tell it was from the oppressive humidity. I kept away from everyone and did my job.

Oh yeah, try wearing a navy blue polyester uniform with a bullet resistant girdle directing traffic for hours on hot concrete for a parade. You just had to suck it up.

Dallas was the first city that I just about passed out. Downtown with no wind in the summer.

Latest posts

Top Bottom