59 years old and the heat is finally getting to me.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Look at the real science of hot, humid air. Well, hot has some to do with it, but humidity is the culprit.

People say, "The air is heavy today because of the humidity." Yes, high humidity makes it harder to breathe, but it is not that the air is heavier. It is actually lighter.

Water vapor in the air displaces some of the O2 (and other gasses in the air), ergo, the O2 concentration is lower in each specific volume(breath) of air. Therefore, you must breath deeper and/or faster to get more air to reach the amount of O2 you require. It may not be that you are having breathing problems of some physical nature, but instead because there is less O2 in the air. DISCLAIMER: I am not a doctor in real life nor on the internet, so make sure you consult your physician about any breathing problems you may be experiencing.

Woody

Big House

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
59 here also, can't handle the heat anymore either. Had a few close calls in attics doing HVAC. Should be against the law to put HVAC in attics. Put it in a closet like it was done for 50 years. It's a dumb sob that puts it in the attic.
I spent my fair share of time in attics. Electrical, HVAC, and searching for water leaks. It sucks! I didn't spend hours up there though.

Big House

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Look at the real science of hot, humid air. Well, hot has some to do with it, but humidity is the culprit.

People say, "The air is heavy today because of the humidity." Yes, high humidity makes it harder to breathe, but it is not that the air is heavier. It is actually lighter.

Water vapor in the air displaces some of the O2 (and other gasses in the air), ergo, the O2 concentration is lower in each specific volume(breath) of air. Therefore, you must breath deeper and/or faster to get more air to reach the amount of O2 you require. It may not be that you are having breathing problems of some physical nature, but instead because there is less O2 in the air. DISCLAIMER: I am not a doctor in real life nor on the internet, so make sure you consult your physician about any breathing problems you may be experiencing.

Woody
This may explain why I sometimes feel like I'm choking when working in the heat. I'll literally start coughing and can't get any air into my lungs.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been in the petroleum industry for almost 15 years. The end product. Meaning, I test a lot a gas stations, military bases, airports, car rental facilities and anything else that are EPA regulated. Testing new installs from the tanks to the sensors that monitor for leaks. This week I was Miami FL area, I started having issues with breathing, fatigue and dizziness. Heat index was 126 with 92% humidity. I do take my blood pressure daily, due to medication for HBP. It was fine. I do try to stay hydrated, but sometimes I get so focused on working that I forget to do my part and take breaks to hydrate and cool down.

I've been asked to move into a management position, but there is a significant pay cut. I've turned them down three times in the past 10 years. Money is too darn good to move down in pay. I may have to take a look at this option now.

I'm trying to stay in my current position until I'm 62, but in all honesty, I'm not sure I can do it.

I'm finished with my crying now. Carry on, my wayward son!

No crying looked down on. I too worked my entire life outdoors. I too grew to hate the heat. I was lucky I retired before it came a physical issue. Listen to your body. Do what’s right for your well being.

It will be hard, you will feel bad about it, but hold this true. Put you in 60 degree weather and you would still work your ass off. Your bucket of tolerating the heat got full. No way to dump any out. You have Family to hold because they need you, you have to do this for them. Hang in there, sorry you reached your limit. We all do, except those that work indoors!

elwoodtrix

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Woody
yes! High humidity and high dewpoint!

Decoligny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been in the petroleum industry for almost 15 years. The end product. Meaning, I test a lot a gas stations, military bases, airports, car rental facilities and anything else that are EPA regulated. Testing new installs from the tanks to the sensors that monitor for leaks. This week I was Miami FL area, I started having issues with breathing, fatigue and dizziness. Heat index was 126 with 92% humidity. I do take my blood pressure daily, due to medication for HBP. It was fine. I do try to stay hydrated, but sometimes I get so focused on working that I forget to do my part and take breaks to hydrate and cool down.

I've been asked to move into a management position, but there is a significant pay cut. I've turned them down three times in the past 10 years. Money is too darn good to move down in pay. I may have to take a look at this option now.

I'm trying to stay in my current position until I'm 62, but in all honesty, I'm not sure I can do it.

I'm finished with my crying now. Carry on, my wayward son!
You need to get a cooler in your vehicle with gel packs for cooling you off while actually out in the heat.
Heat exhaustion is deferent than dehydration, and when it’s humid your sweat can’t cool you down faster than the heat builds up in your body.

Big House

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You need to get a cooler in your vehicle with gel packs for cooling you off while actually out in the heat.
Heat exhaustion is deferent than dehydration, and when it’s humid your sweat can’t cool you down faster than the heat builds up in your body.
RTIC, with ice, water and hydration drinks. I use towels to drench in the iced water to drape over my head and neck. I'm going to start experimenting with hydration drinks and drinking more milk as Swampratt suggested.

okcBob

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not too sure about humid air causing dyspnea is due to low oxygen levels. Don’t get that logic. There might be a very tiny decrease in room air oxygen amount (20.9%) caused by high humidity, but the difference is so small as to be negligible at sea level. It’s not like on a muggy day the air oxygen levels drop to 16% instead of 20.9% on a dry day-which would definitely drop our blood o2 levels. Also when we breathe in, our bodies naturally humidify the inspired air to 100% humidity at body temp by the time the air gets to our lungs. So, the air in our lungs is at 100% relative humidity regardless if we inspire moist or dry air.
I think the cause of fatigue on hot humid days is because of evaporation difficulties. The body works to maintain a normal temperature. On hot muggy days, we need to use extra energy (calories) to cool down due to the evaporation & dehydration, which makes us more tired and possibly short of breath. People with chronic lung disease are especially susceptible to hot humid weather.
Anyway, expending more energy seems more likely than
low oxygen levels as a cause of breathing harder on hot muggy days. But, might be off base as well. Who knows.😁

Last edited:

Big House

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not too sure about humid air causing dyspnea is due to low oxygen levels. Don’t get that logic. There might be a very tiny decrease in room air oxygen amount (20.9%), but the difference is so small as to be negligible at sea level. It’s not like on a muggy day the air oxygen levels drop to 16% instead of 20.9% on a dry day-which would definitely drop our blood o2 levels. Also when we breathe in, our bodies naturally humidify the inspired air to 100% humidity at body temp by the time the air gets to our lungs. So, the air in our lungs is 100% relative humidity regardless if we inspire moist or dry air.
I think the cause of fatigue on hot humid days is because of evaporation difficulties. The body works to maintain a normal temperature. On hot muggy days, we need to use extra energy (calories) to cool down due to the evaporation & dehydration, which makes us more tired and possibly short of breath. People with chronic lung disease are especially susceptible to hot humid weather.
Anyway, this makes more sense to me. But, might be off base as well. Who knows.😁
Gas fumes may be part of the reason why I can't catch my breath. Gas fumes will definitely lower the 20.9% O2 levels.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This may explain why I sometimes feel like I'm choking when working in the heat. I'll literally start coughing and can't get any air into my lungs.
If I am doing something strenuous in high humidity I feel like I'm on top of a mountain, can't hardly breathe, get lightheaded, have to sit down etc. Thankfully that hasn't happened in awhile.

Latest posts

Top Bottom