59 years old and the heat is finally getting to me.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cold Smoke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Be dang careful out there. Heat stress is cumulative and the next incident is easier to get into than the last. I was out shooting some thermite in western Oklahoma and thought I was getting ready to check out. My heart was racing and I couldn’t get a deeper breath than a hummingbird. High heat and humidity then all the PPE. Luckily it was a three man crew that day and I went and sat on the shady side of the truck waiting to expire. If I had a shred of decency I would have climbed up on the truck to die, but it does have a little crane…

Aku

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
59 also. Yes, I can't handle the heat the way I used to be able. Anymore, I go in spurts when outside and its hot. It's kinda like changing a tire; I take my screwdrivers and nibble around the tire until its done. Sounds stupid, but its the only metaphor I can think right now. It actually takes discipline. It's too easy to think I can still act as a young man, get into the grove of what I'm doing, and then have to stop, rest, drink, go inside if necessary.
Good luck to ya. Monies good, but living is a tad bit better.

1Mudman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have been in the Big Country part of Texas for a year helping my son recover from a surgery and its been way over 100 degrees for weeks and weeks. Doesnt seem to really bother me. But I came home to Edmond a few days ago and the humidity just makes me miserable. You sweat in low humidity more but it evaporates quicker and your not as miserable. In the mean time I will be watch everything with a glass of Sweet Tea out my backyard window! (there may be a adult beverage or two involved in my observation of the backyard).

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Had a HVAC drain clog last night that was leaking water into our carpet under the baseboard. It was 106 and dead calm. By the time I got out of the shop with the shop vac, I was pouring sweat. by the time I had all the water vacced up and was cleaning the gunk out of the vac, I was panting and soaked in sweat. By the time I had the drain snaked and was ready to put everything away, I was finding it difficult to concentrate and speak. I just threw everything into the shop, shut the door and crawled into the shower to cool off.

I am VERY ready for this bloody awful heat to subside! :sweat:

Last edited:

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Same problems but with some of the meds I am on they do not want me outside if it is over 85. Does not leave a lot of time to get yard work done.
My dad had that same problem late in his life. He said it was one of his meds (blood thinners, maybe?) that reduced his blood's ability to help transfer heat from the core out to the extremities.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Liquid IV is pretty good as well.
LiquidIV was a lifesaver while I was haying last year. If I drank plain water, my mouth would start going dry pretty quickly, but with the LiquidIV, I didn't feel nearly as desiccated. I'd dump a packet into one of those 20oz Sam's Choice bottles of water and carry that around with me, taking a swig or two every so often. Even when it got warm it was still potable.

I tried the liquid packets from Protekt, which are probably better, as they don't have any sugar in them, but they use stevia extract, which has the same terrible aftertaste as the more chemical-y artificial sweeteners. (I don't know if they're bad for you, but they taste really bad to me.) If they'd drop the stevia, they'd probably be pretty good.

Latest posts

Top Bottom