6.8 vs. .308

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tjones96761

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've already done all the ballistic research. More interested in accuracy, recoil, availability of factory ammo, quality of factory ammo. I'm not going to reload.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Disclaimer: I have NOT shot this caliber. Having said that...

I did a fair amount of reading on the 6.8 SPC round as I too was interested in the caliber for shooting through an AR. In terms of accuracy and recoil, it's supposed to be pretty much in between the .223/5.56 and the .308 cartridges. It's said to be an excellent short- to medium-range round.

As PD said, availability of factory ammo is rather haphazard. It's an expensive cartridge to shoot too, so you should re-consider reloading for it.

angsniper

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Accuracy is good, recoil is lighter than 308. Ammo is made by Silver State Armory, S&B, Hornady, Remington. Best ammo to use is the SSA. Rem and hornady are loaded light. I have not seen any problem getting ammo from SSA. You might check out http://68forums.com/forums/index.php The ammo is a bit pricey when bought commercially.
SSA ammo is MOA or better, high quality. My best group with reloads is .168 MOA

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Accuracy is exceptional and recoil is supposed to be in between a .223 and a .308. I disagree. With a PWS FSC-30 I'd say its equal to if not lighter than a .223. Using the Millet set on 4 pwr the target at 100 yards never left my view. The best 3 group I've shot with it is around 1/4" with SSA 90gr TNT's. I've never had an issue getting 6.8 ammunition from SSA.
ai16.photobucket.com_albums_b2_Spartacus4x4_100_0756.jpg

ai16.photobucket.com_albums_b2_Spartacus4x4_100_0758.jpg

Leadlobber

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can't see why anyone would want a 6.8 in a bolt gun. At 300yds and more the .243 & .308 have more energy and less drop .Quality .243/ .308 ammo is easily available

The 6,8 may make more sense in a black {AR} gun but then I'm an oldfart bolt gun guy.

2tothechest

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can't see why anyone would want a 6.8 in a bolt gun. At 300yds and more the .243 & .308 have more energy and less drop .Quality .243/ .308 ammo is easily available

The 6,8 may make more sense in a black {AR} gun but then I'm an oldfart bolt gun guy.

Agreed. I don't understand the 6.8 or the 6.5 grendel in bolt guns.

.308 will ALWAYS be easier to find and available in more factory loads than the 6.8. Don't know about price, but the 6.8 seems like more of an all around(varmit, deer, target) cartridge. I would think that there is no accuracy advantage to either round, 6.8 may be easier to shot more accurately because of less recoil.

bpfeiff

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Agreed. I don't understand the 6.8 or the 6.5 grendel in bolt guns.

.308 will ALWAYS be easier to find and available in more factory loads than the 6.8. Don't know about price, but the 6.8 seems like more of an all around(varmit, deer, target) cartridge. I would think that there is no accuracy advantage to either round, 6.8 may be easier to shot more accurately because of less recoil.

:thumbup3: Absolutely! but reloading takes care of the problems associated with ammo...

the real question is why not both?

Latest posts

Top Bottom