A letter from Inhofe

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JSPANIER

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
He may be many things but atleast he'll defend the Second Amendment.

Thank you for contacting me regarding the Second Amendment. As your voice in Washington, D.C., I appreciate hearing from you.

The text of the Constitution clearly confers upon an individual the right to bear arms. Our Founders believed that the people's right to own firearms was an important check on the powers of the government and "necessary to the security of a free State." I couldn't agree more and I stand firm in my support of this right.

The President's recent proposals on dealing with gun violence came in two very distinct parts: 1) executives actions that the President will be implementing unilaterally, and 2) making recommendations to Congress for laws that it should pass. Most of the planned executive orders are changes that are within the President's current powers to implement, namely:

1) Launch a national safe and responsible gun ownership campaign.

2) Provide law enforcement, first responders, and school officials with proper training for active shooter situations.

3) Maximize enforcement efforts to prevent gun violence and prosecute gun crime.

4) Launch a national dialogue led by Secretaries Sebelius and Duncan on mental health.

However, there is at least one order I cannot support. President Obama wants to clarify that Obamacare does not prohibit doctors from asking their patients about guns in their homes. Obamacare, however, states that no patient shall be required to disclose his or her own lawful storage or use of a firearm. This order could create confusion for a patient who believes he must answer his doctor's questions. I will adamantly oppose any executive order that I believe infringes upon duly enacted laws by the Congress or on our constitutional rights.

I also disagree with the President is on his recommendations for laws Congress must pass. We know from experience that an assault weapons ban will have no meaningful effect on gun violence, as many of the changes that are implemented by such a ban are cosmetic in nature. Statistics demonstrate that a ban on particular weapons will not significantly decrease crime. Such a ban will, however, significantly decrease our rights guaranteed by the Constitution.

Thank you again for your correspondence. Please feel free to contact me again in the future.

Sincerely,

James M. Inhofe
United States Senator

Pokem807

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good letter, and makes me feel better about his stance on the issue. However, he should understand that the right to bear arms is a natural right and therefore cannot be conferred or taken away by a document, even the Constitution.

swatie

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Jim Inhofe is one of the best there is on gun rights. I think he was just addressing the writer's concerns (Obama's remarks and intents) rather than outlining Inhofe's own stance on guns. But, Jim has consistently ( and he has a very long track record in the Oklahoma legislature, the US House and US Senate) been pro 2nd amendment. He has defended it and voted with gun rights many times. Jim is solid and he has always defended gun rights.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Jim Inhofe is one of the best there is on gun rights. I think he was just addressing the writer's concerns (Obama's remarks and intents) rather than outlining Inhofe's own stance on guns. But, Jim has consistently ( and he has a very long track record in the Oklahoma legislature, the US House and US Senate) been pro 2nd amendment. He has defended it and voted with gun rights many times. Jim is solid and he has always defended gun rights.

This was my impression as well, in spite of the recent brouhaha over an off-the-cuff remark he made concerning magazine capacity. Inhofe is solidly behind us, as is Coburn, and almost all of the Oklahoma House members.

Latest posts

Top Bottom