A question for Military

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for that guys. Having been around farm machinery and trucks for years, I've been hesitant to use a lot of oil because of it attracting and holding gunk of all kinds. For that reason, I don't even own a can of WD-40. Especially if I'm not shooting regularly, I guess I need to make sure that ours are oiled more than I think prudent. But, I guess it could be like automobiles in that regular lubrication is the best maintenance.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
2. Is there just a mystique about the 1911's that make people really say it is the best there is? It may just be me, but I've never felt the real need to own and shoot a 1911 of any caliber. At a range here near Colorado Springs, one of the range guys asked what caliber I shot. He was happy when I said that I preferred .45, and then he added a comment as to whether it was a 1911. He then seemed unhappy when I said no.

Personally, I find that it just fits my hand very naturally, in a way a Glock doesn't. Throw in the fact that, as a function of its design, it can be made to have an outstanding trigger--one that breaks like a glass rod--and it's just a pleasure to shoot. For me, anyway; your mileage may vary.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been hesitant to use a lot of oil because of it attracting and holding gunk of all kinds. For that reason, I don't even own a can of WD-40. Especially if I'm not shooting regularly, I guess I need to make sure that ours are oiled more than I think prudent.

"Running wet" is appropriate, or even necessary, for guns that have long metal to metal contact, such as 1911s slide to frame. It is especially true with ones with say, stainless slide and aluminum alloy frames (e.g. Sigs) to prevent galling.
However, it does NOT mean you have to pour oil all over and into the whole gun. It does mean using an appropriate lube where the sliding friction exists, and using enough to cover the whole sliding surface with a barrier film. It is the friction contacts, especially the sliding areas, that need to "run wet." Any good lube will work; I happen to like Brownells Action Lube.
I recently had a new owner of a 1911 at a match that literally had dipped the whole barrel in oil, and that's just not necessary, because the soaked non-friction areas just catch grit (our bays are sandboxes) and gobs of lube inside the chamber cook and gum up when you shoot it. That gun was malfunctioning because of excess lube in the wrong places. You can put lube on the rails until it squirts out when you shoot and that will not cause malfunctions.

By the way, WD40 is not the best choice to put inside guns because it ages to a varnish residue..

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for that guys. Having been around farm machinery and trucks for years, I've been hesitant to use a lot of oil because of it attracting and holding gunk of all kinds. For that reason, I don't even own a can of WD-40. Especially if I'm not shooting regularly, I guess I need to make sure that ours are oiled more than I think prudent. But, I guess it could be like automobiles in that regular lubrication is the best maintenance.

Please don't use WD40 as a lube. At temps approaching 0 degrees, it gets too thick, and its not designed to be a gun lube.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Please don't use WD40 as a lube. At temps approaching 0 degrees, it gets too thick, and its not designed to be a gun lube.

It's not meant to be a lubricant, period; it's meant to displace water. The name stands for "Water Displacement, 40th formula," indicating its original purpose: protecting the Atlas nuclear missile from corrosion. As it turns out, the light hydrocarbons in it work as a penetrating solvent (which is why it helps break loose frozen joints), and also provide some lubricity just as a function of being oils. There are much better products if your primary goal is lubrication, though.

Sources:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WD-40
http://wd40.com/cool-stuff/history

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Guys,

Read my post again. I stated that I didn't even own a can of WD-40 because of its issues. I'm certainly not going to use it on a firearm. As far as I'm concerned, it is only for stuff that is rusted and needs to be broken loose. I definitely only use gun oil on our weapons.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's not meant to be a lubricant, period; it's meant to displace water. The name stands for "Water Displacement, 40th formula," indicating its original purpose: protecting the Atlas nuclear missile from corrosion. As it turns out, the light hydrocarbons in it work as a penetrating solvent (which is why it helps break loose frozen joints), and also provide some lubricity just as a function of being oils. There are much better products if your primary goal is lubrication, though.

Sources:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WD-40
http://wd40.com/cool-stuff/history

Back when there was no internet for info, We used Ruger Mark 1's to shoot rabbits behind beagles. We found out quickly at low temps WD40 sucked. :D

Its kind of amazing when new folks come to matches with dry guns. They seem to be offended when told their guns are jamming because of low lube.

Competitions typically are won in less than one second increments over several stages, so that involves tenths of a second per stage in some cases. Reliability becomes paramount. Lube is just part of the equation, but a darned important part of it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom