A question for Military

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OKCShooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Since we are reviving threads from the dead, I always wondered why the Military uses 15 round mags in the Berettas?

There are factory mags with more capacity (flush fitting factory Beretta 17rd, +2 basplates from MecGar and 30 round Factory Beretta)

Seems like the minimum the Military would use is the 17rounders?

Lone Wolf '49

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Since we are reviving threads from the dead, I always wondered why the Military uses 15 round mags in the Berettas?

There are factory mags with more capacity (flush fitting factory Beretta 17rd, +2 basplates from MecGar and 30 round Factory Beretta)

Seems like the minimum the Military would use is the 17rounders?

That reminds me of the OKARNG, and our gov't and when on one their first tours there in Iraq the mags sucked. So Igot a few, very few on here to contribute to sending GOOD mags to them. Just a memory now. I spent some money but my young friends came home alive and healthy.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When I joined in 89/90, we hated the fact that the 1911s were worn out, but we loved them anyways. They needed arsenal rebuilds, but apparently it was cheaper to buy new 9mms. The vast majority of the guns we had in our inventory at my first unit hadn't been rebuilt since Korea. A few from Vietnam, but most of them were WWII/Korea era guns. The only reason we wanted the M9 was because we knew they'd work and be accurate since they were new. I have a fair amount of experience with both guns and me personally, I'll take .45 ACP ball ammo over 9mm ball ammo any day of the week so long as both guns work the way they're supposed to. I've carried the M9 into harms way since 9/11. The magazines that are issued are trash, the M9 is worn out, most Soldiers know next to nothing about pistols/pistol shooting(neither does the Army in general) and 'joe' being a knuckle dragger doesn't help. Special Forces has started to move to using the Glock 19 and they LOVE it. I have a personal preference for the 1911, but I know the gun better than the average shooter. The M9 is a fine pistol, but not for everybody.

I was in during the switch and carried both as well. Same thoughts here.

If I were forced to carry a 9mm in combat today, the G-19 would be my choice as well. If given a preference, I'd carry a G-41 with 230gr Hornady flat point FMJ.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
but apparently it was cheaper to buy new 9mms

I was in the Pentagon at the time working another procurement, but heard the briefings on the replacement handgun. The Army wanted more new 1911s, but the US agreed to 9mm handguns to get NATO agreement on the 5.56 rifle (which the Europeans did NOT want).
After 2 rounds of testing that ALL the 9mm handguns failed, Beretta was chosen to sweeten the deal for Italy to buy F16s.
And that's the real story on how decisions like that are made in Washington, DC.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, it's an old thread, but much there is still enough to raise questions, some of which may incite arguments.

1. There was a reference to a certain firearm "liking to run wet," which I presume mean with more oil than others. I recently went to change the magazine on my Springfield Armory XDs and when I went to chamber a round, it failed to feed. After oiling it a couple of days ago, it fed just fine. So, the question is: which brands/models also seem to want to "run wet?" Which reminds me, when I went back to oil all the weapons the other day, I forgot to do it with my Glock 23C, so I need to get my cleaning stuff back out again.

2. Is there just a mystique about the 1911's that make people really say it is the best there is? It may just be me, but I've never felt the real need to own and shoot a 1911 of any caliber. At a range here near Colorado Springs, one of the range guys asked what caliber I shot. He was happy when I said that I preferred .45, and then he added a comment as to whether it was a 1911. He then seemed unhappy when I said no.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, it's an old thread, but much there is still enough to raise questions, some of which may incite arguments.

1. There was a reference to a certain firearm "liking to run wet," which I presume mean with more oil than others. I recently went to change the magazine on my Springfield Armory XDs and when I went to chamber a round, it failed to feed. After oiling it a couple of days ago, it fed just fine. So, the question is: which brands/models also seem to want to "run wet?" Which reminds me, when I went back to oil all the weapons the other day, I forgot to do it with my Glock 23C, so I need to get my cleaning stuff back out again.

2. Is there just a mystique about the 1911's that make people really say it is the best there is? It may just be me, but I've never felt the real need to own and shoot a 1911 of any caliber. At a range here near Colorado Springs, one of the range guys asked what caliber I shot. He was happy when I said that I preferred .45, and then he added a comment as to whether it was a 1911. He then seemed unhappy when I said no.

My Dan Wesson 9mm 1911 likes to be run wet, but it's stainless steel and much tighter than a service grade handgun. Meh, I tend to run all my pistols "wet" anyway and I don't play in sandboxes. :)

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I shoot competitions pretty much every weekend.
Never saw a gun malfunction because they ran too much lube.
I've seen a ton malfunction because they weren't using any.

Latest posts

Top Bottom