A threat from a coworker....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ignored Member

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
IMO, Mossy 500 pistol grip, with a vertical foregrip would do the job on the home front.

I would have to agree with Dustin on this being bad advice, especially for someone who isn't all that familiar with guns in general.
The recoil from someone of small stature (the wife) shooting a 12 guage with a pistol grip is likely to knock it out of her hands and then where are you at if you need follow up shots?
If you're going to get a shotgun, get one with a buttstock on it. Check out the Knoxx recoil reducing stocks, I don't have one myself but I hear they work wonders on recoil management.

And by all means, don't load up a personal defense shotgun with birdshot, unless you just wanna piss off the bad guy.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
+1 on no pistol grip, they don't work very well compared to quality stocks such as the Knoxx, which gets my vote. My better half has no problems whatsoever with my 870 or my 590, both have the Knoxx. Other than that I recommend a good semi-auto 9mm and up, instead of a snubbie. They will have better control, accuracy, ballistics etc.

Larry Morgan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I forgot the name of the stuff, but there are some shotgun rounds out there that have a reduced size slug in them, with like 5 or 8 buckshot pellets behind it. Anyone know of these? I shot one of them, and it had a decent kick to it, though.

Stephen Cue

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Please, don't load your HD shotgun with bird shot.

And by all means, don't load up a personal defense shotgun with birdshot, unless you just wanna piss off the bad guy.

I agree guys! Since most bad guys are zombie androids, birdshot will just piss off non-humans in a close-quarters situation.

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Please, don't load your HD shotgun with bird shot.

From 20' #4 steel shot would be devastating, but cheap Remington 00 buck would definitely be a better choice and most likely produce less recoil.

We did a little non scientific playing out in the woods with shotgun rounds and Tulsa phone books...

high brass #4 steel shot penetrated about 1/2 way through 1 phone book
Remington 00 buck penetrated about 1 1/2 phone books.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
From 20' #4 steel shot would be devastating, but cheap Remington 00 buck would definitely be a better choice and most likely produce less recoil.

We did a little non scientific playing out in the woods with shotgun rounds and Tulsa phone books...

high brass #4 steel shot penetrated about 1/2 way through 1 phone book
Remington 00 buck penetrated about 1 1/2 phone books.

No it wouldn't. It would leave a shallow superficial wound. Steel shot is even worse than lead because it has a low sectional density on each pellet. Phone books aren't flesh.

dcoop46

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My shotgun advice is a youth model 20 gauge if your wife is small - load it with field loads @ #6 or #4 or #5 if you can find them. I bought some R-P field load #5's @ Academy a couple of years ago.

And- absolutley be sure you have a paper trail with as many co-workers as possible on board. First to put pressure on employer and civil authorities to remedy the problem before it comes to the direst extreme, and second for CYA if it does go that direction.

Hope things are resolved in a good way for you. I am a very gentle person with some skills in conflict resolution and negotiation that are part of my professional routine. However - if threatened personally I am apt to go nuts and someone's gonna have their name in the paper!:50cal:

Cedar Creek

+10 & imperative to inform management.

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No it wouldn't. It would leave a shallow superficial wound. Steel shot is even worse than lead because it has a low sectional density on each pellet. Phone books aren't flesh.

You still have to take into account the safety of other occupants of the home and will the round stop the threat. After all is said and done, all we really want to do is stop the threat, not take a life. We're not all hard core heart breakers and life takers, so I would rather that my wife be able to stop the threat without taking a life, I'm not sure that she could cope with the emotional effects of killing another human being.

Like I stated in my original post 00 buck would be a better choice and may offer less recoil.

I understand that phone books aren't the same as flesh, but you weren't volunteering to suffer through those superficial wounds for our fun.

Latest posts

Top Bottom