A threat from a coworker....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reddog1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
geee whiz.. it cracks me up all the opinions on ANY kind of shot... you get shot with a freakin bean bag at point blank in the adams apple you are dead.

Ha! and even more so with some crappy bird shot, I dont care what drugs they are on, its not gonna "piss off" the bad guy when he takes a point blank shot of ANYTHING in the upper torso, or the face.
I got kiddos in rooms all over my house, I will stick with 000 and 00, and take my chances, with my little short shotty.

And back on topic, again, the OP really should get with HR in the AM tomorrow, or whenever he gets back to work.

Good luck with the guy at work, a month from now it will be over with! (hopes!!)

jrusling

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would have to agree with Dustin on this being bad advice, especially for someone who isn't all that familiar with guns in general.
The recoil from someone of small stature (the wife) shooting a 12 guage with a pistol grip is likely to knock it out of her hands and then where are you at if you need follow up shots?
If you're going to get a shotgun, get one with a buttstock on it. Check out the Knoxx recoil reducing stocks, I don't have one myself but I hear they work wonders on recoil management.

And by all means, don't load up a personal defense shotgun with birdshot, unless you just wanna piss off the bad guy.

I have a Knoxx recoil reducing stock on my 870 and it really helps with full load 00 buck or slugs. I have a shoulder problem and it made it bearable to shoot slugs. The difference is really noticeable.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Obviously make sure you have protection of whatever kind. My choice is a .45 Automatic with lots of rounds and extra mags. For your wife, I'd consider a cheap, .38 special loaded up with hollow points that she can just point and keep pulling the trigger until the threat is gone.

I kind of have the opinion that if they intend to act on their threats, any legal or work related actions you take will neither encourage further nor prohibit them. You just have to be prepared if they do...

But I'd still consider slapping a protective order on them and having my attorney write my place of business a letter informing them of the seriousness of the threat and their obligation to protect you from such.

Cedar Creek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm gonna stick with my recommendation of #4, 5, or 6 shot in a youth model 12 gauge for a small woman shooting an intruder inside the home based on 40+ years of experience. Add in the fact that a good friend was killed by his drunken stepfather in the living room with a 20 gauge using #7 1/2 shot - he was a 240 lb cattleman and about as tough as the human species gets. Described as a petite woman tells me she is pretty small-framed and I think a 20 gauge is much more comfortable for a small person with limited experience. Any shotgun round at short distance will be more like being hit with a slug and follow up shots are no problem if needed.

:musketeers:

Cedar Creek

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
since this has spun out to what a good shotty for a little women might be, let me add the remy youth 870 in 20ga; stoked with #4 buckshot, mild recoil, sheet of buckshot with 27 pellets.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm gonna stick with my recommendation of #4, 5, or 6 shot in a youth model 12 gauge for a small woman shooting an intruder inside the home based on 40+ years of experience. Add in the fact that a good friend was killed by his drunken stepfather in the living room with a 20 gauge using #7 1/2 shot - he was a 240 lb cattleman and about as tough as the human species gets. Described as a petite woman tells me she is pretty small-framed and I think a 20 gauge is much more comfortable for a small person with limited experience. Any shotgun round at short distance will be more like being hit with a slug and follow up shots are no problem if needed.

:musketeers:

Cedar Creek

40 years experience in the study of the terminal ballistics of shotgun loads? Bird shot will undoubtedly kill someone. Will it do it reliably enough and quick enough to stop a threat? Don't bet your life on it.

To the bold part: Not even close. It is still a ball of pellets and will never act like a solid slug past the muzzle.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
40 years experience in the study of the terminal ballistics of shotgun loads? Bird shot will undoubtedly kill someone. Will it do it reliably enough and quick enough to stop a threat? Don't bet your life on it.

To the bold part: Not even close. It is still a ball of pellets and will never act like a solid slug past the muzzle.

+1 to what Dustin is saying.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/

Some folks need to stop repeating things they hear and actually look into actual ballistics tests and dry-wall penetration tests.

Over-penetration concerns due to having family in the house is not a reason to use less-than-lethal force on a bad guy who has already been established as a threat to those same people in your house.

I used to believe a lot of the same myths with over-penetration and I loaded up bird-shot in my HD shotguns. Then I saw some ballistics and dry-wall based testing on various rifle/pistol/shotgun loads. The "safety factor" for your family is not worth it if - especially if the bad guy has a more lethal weapon than you do and none of your concerns for the bystanders.

Have a plan and practice good muzzle control, but don't skimp when it comes to defending your home.

1911user

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Another vote for the youth model pump or semi-auto shotgun in 20 gauge unless a good case can be made for 12 gauge for that particular person. For house use, make sure the shotgun will hold the full capacity of shells. If it only holds 2 in the magazine, remove the plug (or plastic stick) that reduces the capacity to 2 rounds for legal federal bird hunting.

Ammunition is suggested to be standard BUCK shot, likely #2 or #3 size buckshot if for a 20 gauge. A 5 round box is typical for buckshot ammo and will cost about $3-$6 each. If the shells come in a 25 round box and cost $5-$10, it is very likely to be the much smaller birdshot instead of buckshot.

Use the cheaper birdshot for most practice along with a few buckshot shells for familiarization.

Latest posts

Top Bottom