AA batteries, which ones to buy and an interesting way to see if one is old or new.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
More than likely you will learn an interesting way to test AA batteries and learn if they are new or old within the first two minutes. There is also some extensive testing to decide if one brand is really better than another.

It's interesting how long they can last. I have to disagree with the Amazon basics being the best buy in some ways though. They are cheaper than a lot of the ones you can buy at the store but not too long ago I was able to get a 60 pack of rayovac's for 15 bucks plus tax or about 27.25 cents per (in the store a 48 pack is 20.00 so it pays to shop online) vs 30.17 cents per for the Amazon batteries in a 48 pack. Otherwise it's a lot of interesting information though I would expect a little more extensive testing to be done as it seemed that the same brand had some varying results and a small sample size does not take that into account.

And now grandparents know which battery to buy to help the grand kids drive mom and dad crazy.... Or the parents to know which ones to get so the toy dies sooner. Then again torturing the grandparents with some lithium batteries could be in the cards at some point as well I am sure, LOL.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have had great luck with rechargables.
But rayovac is what i get if it is not rechargable..The harbor freight ones will not even turn on my camera. Sony cybershot 3.2 MP, a small older camera that uses 2 AA batteries
Rayovacs will work in my camera and they last a decent amount of time but the rechargables last much longer than the rayovac alkalines in the camera.
Rayovac and energizer NMH rechargables at 2300 MAH. And 1.2 Volt
Duracells do not get purchased by me anymore every flashlight I had duracells in and stored for a couple years without use would not work and open them up and the batteries had leaked and corroded the light to fail point.
I tossed many Mag lights that duracells ruined.
I heard the duracell corp will replace the lights when this happens..Never went there though.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For Black Friday, Home Depot had the Rayovac 60 pack for $9.88.

15 plus tax is the every day price I paid. No specials or anything like that and shipped out for free. By the time I got done I ended up getting cash back on the purchase and honestly didn't pay any cash since I had gotten a gift card for 35.00 plus two items that were another 35.00 free (large fruit tray and large cheesecake tray) when I purchased something for 45 that I was going to buy anyway.

I use the rayovac's in a tv remote as well as a the wireless mouse I use and my wife's. What I have now should cover us for the next year or so though.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don't know about your price on Amazon Basic AAs. I just paid $13.99 for a 48 pack a couple weeks ago.

ETA: I agree with Swamp. I had two little Streamlight LED lanterns in the cellar. Both loaded with Duracells and both sets leaked. Now I only have one that still works. No more Duracells for me either.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had good luck with Energizer batteries.

Had too many Duracells leak in applications where the batteries last a long time (multimeters, clocks, etc.). Finally just quit using them altogether.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not to argue the point ... I've honestly never paid that much attention to which battery did what. But, my Dad died in October of 2004. Within the last year, going through some of his left-over things, we came across two flashlights. I flipped the switches and both of them lit right up. So, I opened 'em up. Both of them contained Duracells which expired in March 2011 (D cells). No signs of any corrosion. I will grant you that he may have replaced these batteries just before he died ... I don't know. But, I switched them both back on this evening, and they're still going.

20181212_200119.jpg
20181212_200228.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom