AA batteries, which ones to buy and an interesting way to see if one is old or new.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Many moons ago (yes, keep that in mind), I used to work and manage at a major national electronics store, and batteries were sold there. I don't know how many customers we had come in and say that the reason they bought batteries in our stores was because they figured that a lot of folks bought batteries there, so they were likely to be very fresh batteries. (In my store, we made sure to rotate the stock so the fresher batteries were at the back.

At any rate, I make sure to buy my batteries wherever it is that I figure the "turnover" is pretty consistent and regular. Sorry, but regardless of price, I wouldn't take a chance on Amazon batteries.

skyhawk1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have had great luck with rechargables.
But rayovac is what i get if it is not rechargable..The harbor freight ones will not even turn on my camera. Sony cybershot 3.2 MP, a small older camera that uses 2 AA batteries
Rayovacs will work in my camera and they last a decent amount of time but the rechargables last much longer than the rayovac alkalines in the camera.
Rayovac and energizer NMH rechargables at 2300 MAH. And 1.2 Volt
Duracells do not get purchased by me anymore every flashlight I had duracells in and stored for a couple years without use would not work and open them up and the batteries had leaked and corroded the light to fail point.
I tossed many Mag lights that duracells ruined.
I heard the duracell corp will replace the lights when this happens..Never went there though.

Yep, same trouble with Duracells! Had several items ruined by leaking batteries that were not even year old. Contacted Duracell and they did pretty good job reimbursing me but asked where I bought batteries and I told them Sam's and they said that was problem. They said they get calls constantly about bad batteries bought at sam's and they have started telling people not to buy at sam's! Seems they leave in hot or freezing trailers in storage

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Contacted Duracell and they did pretty good job reimbursing me but asked where I bought batteries and I told them Sam's and they said that was problem. They said they get calls constantly about bad batteries bought at sam's and they have started telling people not to buy at sam's! Seems they leave in hot or freezing trailers in storage

I don't buy this line from Duracell at all. Every company's batteries are shipped in the same type of non-temp controlled trailer when shipped across the country. They sit in the same docks and warehouses, probably right beside each other no matter the brand. Duracell is full of it.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't buy this line from Duracell at all. Every company's batteries are shipped in the same type of non-temp controlled trailer when shipped across the country. They sit in the same docks and warehouses, probably right beside each other no matter the brand. Duracell is full of it.
Indeed.

My leaky Duracells were purchased at Walmart. Which is the same place I buy Energizers that do NOT leak.

Duracells in use can leak well before the expiration date btw.
:drunk2:

Latest posts

Top Bottom