Abandoned Cat. Just venting.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I have to vent.

Last week the garage door opener broke. The door was stuck about 8 inches above the floor.

My wife noticed a large pair of green eyes staring at her under the garage door. She got scared and scared a rather large black cat away.

Yesterday, I noticed a large black shadow under my front holly bushes. A very large black cat got up and stretched. After a few seconds, he came over to my outstretched hand and started purring up a storm. Rolling on the porch and sidewalk. Pressing, purring and rolling.

Poor guy’s coat was/is a bit matted. Definite markings on the neck fur where a collar has been on and is now missing.

Couldn’t help ourselves. Brought out some food and water. Poor guy was starving.

He was back again this afternoon. Friendlier than yesterday. Really putting on a show. Got out an old pet carrier and he went right in. Took him to the vet to see if there was a chip. Not so lucky there.

He is a healthy, adult male cat that is used to people. 15 pounds of loving. He has been fixed and declawed. Problem is, he has been declawed on ALL four paws.

We have looked at every lost ad and posting we could. Nothing. No posters in the area, nothing.

Only thing I can figure is that someone dumped him close to the neighborhood.

If that is what happened, I hope that there is special place in he!! for whoever did it. This is a great cat. I wish that there was a way we could keep him, but I don’t think our cat would accept him.

Not looking for an adoption. Just frosted that someone would do something like this.

ai53.tinypic.com_icvjft.jpg

Dave

mhphoto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Aww, he looks like a sweetheart. Check with your local Humane Society. They'll put up an ad on petfinder.com for you under the lost pets or adoption section.

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lordy, they took his nuts and his claws too? They've left him at the mercy of his enemies.
You really should euthanize an animal before you rob him of the ability to hunt AND court the fair sex.
What sort of monster would do this to a sensient being?

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I wish that there was a way we could keep him, but I don’t think our cat would accept him.

Cats tend to work things out between themselves. Since he's been fixed there won't be the normal male scent, and he needs to be an indoor cat since what ever A$$-hole decided to have all four paws done. I can understand the front two, and as much as I hate to, all three of ours are de-clawed in the front. None of them adopted to a scratch board, so the front ones had to go to save furniture.

He looks to have so Bombay in him, but the longer nose gives him away as a mix.

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We took in a female stray cat that had been declawed on the front feet. We had four cats at the time. Yes, at first the newbie get into fights with the others but,usually they fit in and the fights stop. It sounds like you are getting attached.Keep him,it will work out.

JPK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sounds like God has given you guys a wonderful gift. We have adopted two pooches and two kitties in this manner - or did they adopt us? Hmmm... And yes, there is a special place in Hell... especially for doing all four sets of claws.

Cinaet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We just took in our 4th feral/stray day before yesterday. Took me 3 years to train her to come to hand. The one before her took almost 4 years. I trapped her and had her spayed 6 months ago. Can't stand to see one of those critters in distress. So we took her in. She's been hiding under one of the beds for two days. It'll take a couple of weeks for her to start to integrate into our brood. The reason I'm saying all this is not to brag but to encourage you to at least try to fit him in with your other cat. It takes at least two weeks for cats to start adjusting to each other. Taking care of two cats is not much different than taking care of one.

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We just took in our 4th feral/stray day before yesterday. Took me 3 years to train her to come to hand. The one before her took almost 4 years. I trapped her and had her spayed 6 months ago. Can't stand to see one of those critters in distress. So we took her in. She's been hiding under one of the beds for two days. It'll take a couple of weeks for her to start to integrate into our brood. The reason I'm saying all this is not to brag but to encourage you to at least try to fit him in with your other cat. It takes at least two weeks for cats to start adjusting to each other. Taking care of two cats is not much different than taking care of one.

We've had the two cats before. What I did to get the second cat is a long story and I'd hate to put it on a public forum.

I think that both my wife and I would love to have this guy, but he is litterally twice the weight and more than double the size of our female. I'm pretty sure that if there was a way, we would keep him. She is already referring to him as "Gus" and I've already taken him to the vet for a checkup. Last night before lights out, we were both outside on the front porch with him making sure he was OK and giving him a good pat down.

Sheeesh.

Dave

Latest posts

Top Bottom