Access to Canadian river in Norman?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds like you are talking about Sundog. If so they are closed now. Something with the new bridge shut them down was the story I heard.
It’s been good a good six years since I’ve been that way. That is a bummer. I had no idea there was a new bridge going through. It was fun while it lasted. All the good places are disappearing or gone

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Really good fishing at times in the section between the dams. Nice sized crappie, hybrid, bass and walleye pass through from Canton, and Hefner. Probably cats also, but I don't fish for the slimy fish.

Thom

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Cherry creek park is where we go. It’s a little bit of a hike but it’s (for the most part) upriver from all the homeless zombies.

Also if you take Jenkins down past the sewage plant and the LEO shooting range you can get to the river. Sometimes. I’ve seen gates closed. But My mom and her birding group go down there a bunch. So if they can figure it out..

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It’s been good a good six years since I’ve been that way. That is a bummer. I had no idea there was a new bridge going through. It was fun while it lasted. All the good places are disappearing or gone
The new bridge has been open for two or so years now They actually had to close the Bridge O’ Doom for a few months because it was unsound*, so they expedited the construction of the new bridge. A friend of my dad’s is an old oilfield welder who worked on the emergency repairs to make the old bridge safe for traffic while they planned and built the new one, and he said the biggest problem they had with that job was you can’t weld rust to rust...

*The old bridge was bad enough that during its emergency usage, they disabled the stoplight on the Purcell side so it couldn’t back up traffic onto the bridge. Yikes.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The new bridge has been open for two or so years now They actually had to close the Bridge O’ Doom for a few months because it was unsound*, so they expedited the construction of the new bridge. A friend of my dad’s is an old oilfield welder who worked on the emergency repairs to make the old bridge safe for traffic while they planned and built the new one, and he said the biggest problem they had with that job was you can’t weld rust to rust...

*The old bridge was bad enough that during its emergency usage, they disabled the stoplight on the Purcell side so it couldn’t back up traffic onto the bridge. Yikes.

I was involved in that project. I wish I had the money the GC spent on drill bits. He told me at the time he could build them a new bridge for just a little more than the repairs were gonna cost, but the poor folks on the east side of the bridge that worked on the west side were screwed so they needed an interim solution.

I’d think to gain access around Norman you’re gonna have to get permission from the dude that lives on the north west side of the bridge in the big pallet house with the blue tarp roof. I hear he’s a stickler for picking up your trash, but I’ve never actually talked to him.

joegrizzy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Really good fishing at times in the section between the dams. Nice sized crappie, hybrid, bass and walleye pass through from Canton, and Hefner. Probably cats also, but I don't fish for the slimy fish.
i've caught all those in that river and also bowfished for gar and grass carp. used to go out there fairly often, often enough some of the 'locals' would pull up on 4wheelers and toss me a beer.

cherry creek, that church, or the apartments near the church (can't remember the name, but you'll find them) are the best places to go in. just follow the trail and keep your wheels on the grassy roots and out of the sand. you WILL get stuck.

oh, and there are TONS of sandplums out there too if you go in the summer.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was involved in that project. I wish I had the money the GC spent on drill bits. He told me at the time he could build them a new bridge for just a little more than the repairs were gonna cost, but the poor folks on the east side of the bridge that worked on the west side were screwed so they needed an interim solution.
It was a pretty bad hardship for the folks in Lexington, that’s for sure. It was bad enough that Wadley’s opened a temporary location in Lex for their ambulance service while traffic from Lex to Purcell had to go via Norman.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It was a pretty bad hardship for the folks in Lexington, that’s for sure. It was bad enough that Wadley’s opened a temporary location in Lex for their ambulance service while traffic from Lex to Purcell had to go via Norman.
Yeah, If you were in Purcell or Lex you couldn’t get to the other from where you were. You had to go someplace else and start from there.

I knew a few folks. It was a bad deal for sure. Long drive is better than you & your car tumbling 100’ into a river bottom though, so there’s that.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Who's property is between the park and the river though?

Screenshot_20220310-125046_Maps.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom