Access to Canadian river in Norman?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Who's property is between the park and the river though?

View attachment 258212
According to the Cleveland County Assessor’s office, the City of Norman owns the corner of the section where the park is, the part of the section to the southeast from it is owned by an individual, and the section to the south is owned by Anthem Oklahoma General Partnership. In a quick search, I couldn’t figure out who Anthem is (though I’m assuming they’re not the Anthem of Blue Cross), but that land could be set aside as greenbelt.

The Assessor’s site also shows that most of the land around/under the river is owned by NFL, LLC, which is damn near impossible to find, because they’re drowned out by the NFL in search results…

scott024

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

View attachment 258212
The city owns the property south of Cherry Creek Park. There are lots of people that walk the trail to the river. I've even walked it a few times. The University does ornithology/ecology field trips down that trail as well.

joegrizzy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score

View attachment 258212
there were never any gates you'd have jump or fences on that route. there are lots of trails that go in different directions, some leading to random hobo spots.

however, walking in that deep sand is slow, and there are now rocked paths if you enter at a different street in that neighborhood. there *may* be a sign telling you not to keep going, but i mean.....

sounds dumb but i guess younger me and my friends would always just say "well, if they are going to catch us they're going to have to walk as far as we did".

never "got caught".

although one time i was out there overnight and i woke up with a BIG TRUCK literally right next to me. I was sleeping out on the sand, and he was like "IF YOU'RE GONNA BE OUT HERE YOU HAVE TO MAKE A CAMP" because i guess some guys just like to run trucks out there on the sand bar at night? usually the trucks would keep to the muddy bogs adjacent to the river, but this guy was like across the creeks and onto the main sand bar. after getting my wits about me and realizing it was like 4:30 am, i noticed his truck had somewhat official stuff on it, so i asked him what he was doing out there.

said he was doing something with some kind of nesting migratory bird that was laying eggs on the sandbar. he drove off, i slept a few more hours til sunup. sure enough, i got swooped by birds on my walk back lol. not even sure what they were, but they were PISSED

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Where can you park and not have to walk too far? I'm looking at May Ave on Google Earth.
What is your definition of to far? It isn't drive up the water and fish, but I have walked further to the door at a sportings goods store parking lot.

You can give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for life.

Screenshot_20220310-191332_Maps.jpg

Park in that lot and walk about 140-145 steps to the south and then walk 167-175 steps to the west. Throw a chrome 1/4 oz rattle trap if water flow is low. Thrown up to 3/4oz if its moving pretty good. Throw toward the ripples.

Don't post the location when you post nice fish pics or you will be shoulder to shoulder.

Latest posts

Top Bottom