Access to Canadian river in Norman?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I ain't carrying my boat 150 yards to the water.
I don't know all the roads around the Oklahoma river which is where the row boats operate, and the water park is operated?
I've never seen anyone fishing in that area although I'm only there a few times a year.
No fishing boats seen.
Is the Oklahoma River restricted to not allow motorized boats?
Saw a couple guys fishing below the south dam which is near the I-40, I-35 intersection. We used to dirt bike and ATC race on the other side back in the 80's.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Another access point. Keep in mind when flow is up. The fish I am after will usually move upstream. The fish are concentrated because of obstacles that prevent further travel upstream. Use the imagery and find something that would prevent or at least make it more difficult for a fish to continue swimming upstream.
Screenshot_20220310-223628_Maps.jpg

joegrizzy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
yeah i've only biked that trail, never fished near there. seen lots of people doing it, even at night. not sure exactly how enforced regs are, but it seems like people just kinda kept to their own.

if you want a more lakeish spot or a more private spot of the same river, use these access points:
river access.png

or if you want you can bike from one point to another; looks a lot farther than it is. crystal lake access is from sw 15th off macarthur.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The city owns the property south of Cherry Creek Park. There are lots of people that walk the trail to the river. I've even walked it a few times. The University does ornithology/ecology field trips down that trail as well.
So where do you park? Do you go into that neighborhood and park at a dead end or is there a lot somewhere? Is it isolated enough I could take pellet guns and practice shooting longer range than I could at home?

ALSO - where is the homeless camp? Is it WEST of the Chevy dealership?

FINALLY - Who owns the land behind Home Depot?

scott024

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So where do you park? Do you go into that neighborhood and park at a dead end or is there a lot somewhere? Is it isolated enough I could take pellet guns and practice shooting longer range than I could at home?

ALSO - where is the homeless camp? Is it WEST of the Chevy dealership?

FINALLY - Who owns the land behind Home Depot?
Park on the street in the neighborhood, there is no lot. It might raise eyebrows walking around with a pellet gun through the park, but once you are south of the park, no one is going to care. When I walked it, I wore a pistol on my hip and passed people and they didn't seem to care. About 6 years ago, a mountain lion was spotted down that trail.

The homeless camp is close to the bridge on the NW side of it. If you go down to the river through Cherry Creek Park, you won't see any homeless. You'll hit the river about half a mile from where they camp. At one time, the city went down there and ran them out. The last time I crossed the river, there was a shanty on the NE side of the bridge.

The properties behind Homedepot (west and south properties) are below. Owned by LLC's and Partnership.

1647029751840.png

1647029801157.png

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
NFL LLC comes back to 701 NW 5th street OKC. These are the businesses/people associated with that address. Coincidentally, Anthem comes back as the same address.
1647035545435.png

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
West and South of the Chevy dealership.

Pretty much the entire area in pink, I believe.
Thanks!
Park on the street in the neighborhood, there is no lot. It might raise eyebrows walking around with a pellet gun through the park, but once you are south of the park, no one is going to care. When I walked it, I wore a pistol on my hip and passed people and they didn't seem to care. About 6 years ago, a mountain lion was spotted down that trail.

The homeless camp is close to the bridge on the NW side of it. If you go down to the river through Cherry Creek Park, you won't see any homeless. You'll hit the river about half a mile from where they camp. At one time, the city went down there and ran them out. The last time I crossed the river, there was a shanty on the NE side of the bridge.

The properties behind Homedepot (west and south properties) are below. Owned by LLC's and Partnership.

View attachment 258412
If I took a pellet gun, I would take a carbine with folding stock in a backpack so no issue with people seeing it on the way in.

I would like to know who owns the property to the west of the area you have in green...I am curious if any of that is accessible (unofficially). If it was corporate land, I might consider parking at one of the businesses and going exploring with my kiddo if there was no fence/signs.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom