Accupoint 5-20x50

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jwryan84

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok I've saved up some more money to scope my AR-10. What do you guys think of the Trijicon Accupoint 5-20x50?? Its the mil-dot with amber reticle, priced at under $900. Is this what I'm looking for to hit out to 600 or so yards or do I need to keep looking?

Still wandering about the mils and moa adjusments, want the simplest way to hit consistently. If this isn't going to function without a bunch of calculations then what do I want, I can spend up to 1500 but would really like to stay closer to a grand.

StammesOpfer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you dont want to fuss with calculations or at least not as much then you want your reticle and knbos to be matched mil/mil or moa/moa for the under a grand Vortex Viper PST, or Bushnell Elite 4200 mil/mil. If it was me I would get the Vortex Viper PST and you can choose weather you want MOA or Mils they make both. Also you have a couple of options for magnification. Might check out liberty optics, they carry both of those. If you want to spend more you can look at IOR Valdada 35 series, Leupold mark 4, or a used Nightforce. For more info on the whole mils and moa thing Clicky Here

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
While I'll agree that the Vortex Viper is a damn good deal and one I've been looking at for quite some time now, I don't necessarily think everyone needs MIL/MIL or MOA/MOA - it really comes in handy when you're trying to make a bulls-eye group and you've missed a few inches off and need to quickly calculate how to get back on bulls eye (not really helpful for hunting or just banging steel) - other than that, it doesn't do anything better than a Mil/MOA scope other than use more simple formulas for range-finding (and I'm honestly so used to the Mil formulas, that I catch myself doing them faster than just taking the 1/1000th thing to heart).

Still its nice to have if you ever plan on trying to make a tiny group at 700yds and then quickly move to 600 and your ballistics card is off just a hair.

Jwryan84 - Trijicon scopes are good, but if I were looking to go out to that distance, I'd look at a different optic - and I can't honestly argue with StammesOpfer's logic in that the Vortex is a very nice optic for the money (and I'm not going to lie, those MOA/MOA guys are slowly convincing me that I want to go that route for what I do), but you've got plenty of options with a better reticle than the Trijicon has - I personally like something with more measurement options than just a plain mil-dot (and I don't like the huge thick cross-hairs the Trijicon has).

But in that price-range, you're close enough to a NightForce to pick up a used one for a few hundred more - just something to think about.

Ksmirk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hate to say this but are you going to range, and be a serious LR shooter or just play around with shooting LR and spend most of your time on the bench at 100 yards? I'm not trying to be an ass I promise! just some questions that I just got done asking myself in the last 2 months I've been beating my head with do I want to go mil-mil, moa-moa, mil reticule moa adjustments, all those questions and have come up with some dandy good scopes that are what I would consider resonable but this time around I'm going to get serious since I can kinda afford it better now and get this LR game down! so with everything said and done I'm stashing pennies back for a Nightforce NP-R1 reticule. I've heard some very promissing things about the Viper PST and there are also some others out there that are good glass for not a lot of change.

Ask yourself these questions and get back to us, I know I'd be glad to offer as much help as I have to offer. Later,

Kirk

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well practically 308 runs out of gas around 800 yds, YES you can use it farther out, but 800 is around where it,s real usfullness runs out. With that in mind, I went with the Leopold 2.5-8X MRT with the tactical milling retical. The elevation turret is marked for the 168/175 SMK at 2550 which is fairly easy to obtain out of a 20" barrel plus you can use the milling retical for quick hold overs. I really like it, and you can find them for around $900.

I used to be sponsored by Trijicon and can't recomend their products enough, and the scope you are looking at would be fantastic, but for a scope with the ballistic drop already on the "dial" and perfect magnification for a 308 the Leopold is hard to beat. KurtM

Jwryan84

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hate to say this but are you going to range, and be a serious LR shooter or just play around with shooting LR and spend most of your time on the bench at 100 yards? I'm not trying to be an ass I promise! just some questions that I just got done asking myself in the last 2 months I've been beating my head with do I want to go mil-mil, moa-moa, mil reticule moa adjustments, all those questions and have come up with some dandy good scopes that are what I would consider resonable but this time around I'm going to get serious since I can kinda afford it better now and get this LR game down! so with everything said and done I'm stashing pennies back for a Nightforce NP-R1 reticule. I've heard some very promissing things about the Viper PST and there are also some others out there that are good glass for not a lot of change.

Ask yourself these questions and get back to us, I know I'd be glad to offer as much help as I have to offer. Later,

Kirk

No offense taken, more than likely I would be shooting 100 to 200 yards regularly. But this will be my long range gun, I would like to get a scope capable of getting serious long range hits. I'm guessing I will be looking at the nightforce 5.5-22X50, but at 1500 its cost as much as the gun. So I am doing more research on the Viper you talked about.

Really thinking of your question I would probably be happy with something not as expensive that would be functional for the majority of times I would shoot. So maybe the viper or the trijicon would be just fine, just wanting advise on getting the best scope for the buck. But as always I like to have the best and it would be nice to reach out there consistently if I ever got further into long range shooting.

Latest posts

Top Bottom