Accurate ammo..where to find

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Short of developing and testing the loads myself, anyone have any suggestions on where to find a tight grouping accurate .40 cal ammunition.

The gun is accurate and the shooter is fair. I'd like to work out the last part of the variables.

Thanks in advance

Dave

operator742

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Black Hills is supposed to be, I think all the top US brands are more accurate than most shooter are. Short of using a ransom rest I would be surprised if you will be able to tell a difference.

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Short of developing and testing the loads myself, anyone have any suggestions on where to find a tight grouping accurate .40 cal ammunition.

The gun is accurate and the shooter is fair. I'd like to work out the last part of the variables.

Thanks in advance

Dave

For what "I think" is your intended application, try Gold Dot or HST in 180.

While I haven't done extensive testing in .40, I have tested quite a bit of 9mm with a ransom rest. Self Defense ammo is usually much tighter grouping than most other ammo and the pins react very well with a 180. Gold Dots are available for hand loading if recoil management becomes an issue with the factory load.

I'm getting great pin reaction with a 180 grain Montana Gold bullets running 950-975 fps. The reaction was not as good with 900-920 fps loads. I actually changed and tested mid match last year and you can see it in the videos. The factory Gold Dot would be just north of 1000 fps but I like the bullet profile better than the MG bullet. I ordered some GD bullets to handload a few days ago just for this. I'll likely compare the two with a ransom rest, but I doubt I do much ladder testing.

Just don't tell Glenn our secret!

Rick

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I find that Hornady 180gr XTP are very, very accurate in my 40's.
https://www.hornady.com/ammunition/handgun/40-s-w-180-gr-xtp#!/

Hornady XTPs are generally one of the more accurate bullets across the board in my experience. You can get the HAP version in some calibers and weights which are the same without the skiving cuts for expansion and save a few pennies.

For handloading I like the Precision Delta JHPs because they mimic the XTP profile and construction pretty closely for a lot less money, but for defense or hunting I stick to the XTPs.

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Freedom Munitions seem to shoot pretty good out of mine. But just about everything shoots real well out of mine. Perfecta has always been pretty good for store bought stuff. Reloads is just about all I shoot though.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hornady XTPs are generally one of the more accurate bullets across the board in my experience. You can get the HAP version in some calibers and weights which are the same without the skiving cuts for expansion and save a few pennies.

For handloading I like the Precision Delta JHPs because they mimic the XTP profile and construction pretty closely for a lot less money, but for defense or hunting I stick to the XTPs.

My experience as well using XTP's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Top Bottom