Admitted Cild Kidnapper Running for Schoolboard

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mos Eisley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If this lady gets elected it would be proof-positive that the entire electorate in that California district is mentally unstable.

http://www.fox40.com/news/headlines...-school-board-ballot-20110913,0,5017280.story

FAIRFIELD, CA—

An admitted child kidnapper, who was placed in a mental facility, is asking voters to elect her to the school board.

The case of Alvina Sheeley is strange to say the least. The 70-year-old candidate truly believes she can win a seat on the board in Fairfield and Suisun City because of her record of community involvement.

"I wouldn't say I'm cured, I would say I'm stable," Sheeley told FOX40.

You would never guess that Alvina Sheeley spent more than a year in a mental institution, sent there after a recommendation from federal prosecutors and public defenders following her 1998 arrest. Sheeley kidnapped four girls at a bus stop in Illinois and took them across the border to Missouri.

She says she wanted to save them from a harmful school system. At the time, Sheeley says there was a lot of turmoil and suicides in the Solano County district where she worked as a teacher, and when she was back in Illinois on a leave of absence, she thought all school systems were the same and thought the girls were in trouble.

"I just wanted to do good, no harm to students," said Sheeley. After being treated, she now says it was wrong. "I made a mistake, I paid for it, I was put away for a while," said Sheeley.

She's running for the school board over the objections of some parents like Andrea Meeks.

"Me as a citizen, me as a parent…there's no way," said Meeks.

While some voters can't believe she's on the ballot, county elections officials say requirements to run are fairly loose; they only confirm where you live, the rest is the honor system.

"They sign an affidavit under oath that you're a U.S. citizen, you are over 18, you're not a convicted felon, in prison or on parole," said Lindsey McWilliams, Assistant Registrar of Voters for Solano County.

Alvina was never convicted of a crime, she was declared insane during the 1998 incident. She has some support because she was a long-time teacher and coach in the district, and has a history of community involvement; including creating teaching programs and lobbying for recreational facilities for underprivileged kids. She says she has a lot of administrative credentials and is a problem solver.

The elections office says any controversy would be settled at the ballot box. Would Meeks vote for her?

"No, I would not, and I wouldn't recommend nobody else (vote for her) either," said Meeks.

Sheeley says there are eight candidates for four open seats and that she has a good chance to win.

"I tell everyone my name is Alvina and it has a V in it, the V stands for victory," said Sheeley.

Sheeley ran for the Fairfield City Council before her kidnapping arrest and came in fifth out of nine candidates. Whether she can get the same kind of support this time remains to be seen.

Latest posts

Top Bottom