Advice for a noob

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigTexOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I read the FAQ thread that has been stickied at the top.

One of the first things it says is, to buy a reloading manual before you do anything else.

So, what is a good reloading manual (or two) for someone who's never done this before to buy? Is there a generally accepted book that is really good for a beginner?

Also, I'm looking to piece together the equipment. Wheres the best place for price I'm gonna find a press? Just a single stage press to begin with and I'll probably upgrade as I go along. I want to buy a used one.

Thanks in advance.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
For used reloading equipment, I'd watch the classifieds here, they pop up from time to time. There are other forums to watch too, but since OSA is OK specific, more likely to find local deals.

As to the manuals, Lee, Hornady, Speer, Lyman, and I'm sure there's more.

okdkranch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think the Lee book is the simplest and best for a real beginner. And I would suggest looking for a Lyman Spar T press - it has a 6 position turrent to set up six dies and is used like a single stage press. You will never out grow it.

BigTexOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So assume I'm just gonna start out reloading one of my rounds...308 win.

How much should I expect to spend for the press and other equipment I'll need?(not including powder, tips, brass, etc.)

oneof79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So assume I'm just gonna start out reloading one of my rounds...308 win.

How much should I expect to spend for the press and other equipment I'll need?(not including powder, tips, brass, etc.)

You could "get started" reloading for around 150.00 or so depending on what stuff you buy. A lot of people start with Lee equipment then graduate up to better and more expensive stuff. I did. If I was going to start over I would save up a little and buy the good equipment first.

BigTexOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You could "get started" reloading for around 150.00 or so depending on what stuff you buy. A lot of people start with Lee equipment then graduate up to better and more expensive stuff. I did. If I was going to start over I would save up a little and buy the good equipment first.

If I went by it that route, what should I expect to spend on the good equipment?

I've seen kits on gunbroker(RCBS Chuck Master Supreme and others) for around $300. I don't know what "good stuff" entails. I'm as new to this as you can imagine and I have NOBODY that can help me with their experience and knowledge.

Thanks a ton for the info so far.

oknavy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Another member recently posted a similar question. Take a look below for a good estimate of reloading costs & savings:

http://www.okshooters.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1160956&postcount=11

Here is the entire thread: http://www.okshooters.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1160956#post1160956

Regarding which manual/book: I have the ABC's, the Lee Manual, and the Sierra manual. If I had to pick one, I'd choose the Sierra manual. A great introduction to reloading, plus all the load data you'll need.

Have fun.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Been reloading for about 40 years, had a manufacturers license back in the day and have tried many different brands of presses and dies etc. The simplest starting kit in my opinion is the RCBS Rock Chucker package. It is strong enough to handle anything from case forming to bullet swaging and will last for years. I have one that is 35 or so years old and still going strong. I have owned several brands of progressive loaders over the years and currently have two Dillon RL-550B units set up and operational I still use the Rock Chucker and I also have a Lee 50BMG press. The Lee 50BMG press is actually a little beefier than the Rock Chucker. I have friends with just about every brand out there, and most all of them have their good points. The RCBS package is the best bang for the buck in my opinion in that you get a strong, well made press that will do all normal reloading tasks and keep on going for years. Aside from the press, you need a good powder scale, RCBS or Lyman both make very good beam scales that are supremely accurate. A powder measure is another necessity in my opinion if you are going to load any quantity of ammo. As you get into reloading, you will find it necessary to trim rifle cases periodically, the cheapest reliable trimmer is the Lee case length guage set with a trimmer you can use with a cordless drill. I have several different case trimmer setups, but still use the lee stuff for small runs. When loading straight wall pistol cases, invest in a carbide sizing die to make life more fun and extend the life of your brass. The best sizing lube in my opinion is the imperial sizing die wax, that is what I use for all my rifle sizing and case forming. A tin of it will last several hundred rounds. A loading block helps you to charge the cases and visually verify the level of powder in the cases during the loading cycle. You can buy one premade or if you are handy with a drill, you can make one out of scrap wood that works just fine.
If I could only have one loading manual, it would be Modern Reloading by Richard Lee. If you price it on Amazon, it is very expensive, but if you order it from Midwayusa.com, it is very reasonable. As you get into reloading, you will gain confidence in what you do, just exercise caution and double and tripple check everything you do. Good luck.. Blitzfike

Latest posts

Top Bottom