Advice for a noob

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

No.343

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do you have a favorite type of ammo? Do you know who manufacturers their bullets? I like Hornandy bullets and Hogdon's powders, so I buy their manuals. My first manual was a Speer. I learned a lot from it. I read about all the cartridges in that book and enjoyed it. Buy a notebook and keep records. You will ask yourself about loads you tried in 1992 with the gun that you sold to your cousin before you know it.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
This type of question comes up rather frequently. I need to get back to writing sections for the FAQ's.

Now that you have some advice on manual(s), have you answered the questions in this post of the FAQ's?

Once you have answered those questions, you will be better prepared to ask for advice concerning which equipment you want to buy.

BigTexOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This type of question comes up rather frequently. I need to get back to writing sections for the FAQ's.

Now that you have some advice on manual(s), have you answered the questions in this post of the FAQ's?

Once you have answered those questions, you will be better prepared to ask for advice concerning which equipment you want to buy.

Im going to get a Lee Turret.

DRSNINER

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I started reloading a few months ago and for me the best deal was a Lee anniversary kit from Cabelas. I added some reloading blocks, a inexspensive digital scale and a set of calipers. The thing I was trying to do was to keep the cost down in case I found that reloading wasn't for me and to learn the basics. I now have three manuals,6 sets of dies,all Lee, and I am totally hooked. My new mantra is " Shoot more,load load more". Like your self I load 308 and with my reloads my groups have become smaller while my confidence has grown and besides it's just plain fun.

44minimum

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are lots of videos on youtube and elsewhere showing different presses in operation. Last time I checked, there were some reloading books available at the library. Probably the most underutilized public resource in the state. Get a library card, pick out the books you want online, then they are shipped to your local library for you to pick up. What could be simpler?

257wby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
+1 for the RCBS. I still use my dads whenever I make it back to mom and dads and it is probly around 25 yrs old and loaded countless rounds. Great press to get started with. Never used a Lee, but from what I hear they are quality.

Latest posts

Top Bottom