Aerial speeding patrols in OK

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You need a CB radio to go with the radar detector, the truckers will tell you where the cops are. I spent 6 years driving all over the country doing 80 to 90 most of the time and never once got caught. Radar detector and CB paid for themselves many times over.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Google Maps or Android Auto will give you a heads' up sometimes on speedtraps. Not all the time, of course, but I've gotten a number of warnings of upcoming speed traps and when I passed the spot, I saw the cop on the side of the road or pulled behind a sign or bushes, etc.

CoronaBorealis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It has been my understanding that the governor pulled all OHP aircraft except the one that flys him around. So, the speed checked by radar is a thing of the past.

just saw this, but it’s incorrect. He sold the King Air that flew the governor around. The OHP has a small fleet of Cessnas that fly out of various points in the state. Some are based here in Norman. I think others operate out of Grove and Woodward possibly.

1911master

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Again, my understanding is they pulled the airplane from Woodward area. At that point the OHP Officer was given the option to go to a patrol unit but decided to retire.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Try to drive 80 these days on I35, you get run over, is 90 or faster now.

Also goes for I-40 and I-44. I do 75 (The speed limit), because I get much better gas mileage, and everyone passes me like I'm sitting still. It amazes me how people complain about gas prices but then waste it by speeding to save just 5 minutes.

wawazat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Also goes for I-40 and I-44. I do 75 (The speed limit), because I get much better gas mileage, and everyone passes me like I'm sitting still. It amazes me how people complain about gas prices but then waste it by speeding to save just 5 minutes.
When we were commuting between NW OKC and Tulsa for work, it was more like 20min saved. If it was just me in the car, I only sped coming back home haha.

CoronaBorealis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Again, my understanding is they pulled the airplane from Woodward area. At that point the OHP Officer was given the option to go to a patrol unit but decided to retire.
Understandable. I was mainly commenting on the point that he got rid of all aircraft except “his”, but that was in fact the one that he got rid of.

leemozoid

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They also operate VASCAR from their helos. If you pay attention on some highways you'll see white rectangles painted on the shoulder. Those are set at predetermined intervals and monitored visually from the air. Using a stopwatch a unit performs a simple time/distance calculation to give your mph through the zone. So when you see a painted white block look up!

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
One of the funniest things I’ve ever heard… We have a good family friend who is a Trooper, we were visiting one time and aerial clocking came up. He was telling me about a trap they had, the airplane was clocking, ground crews stopping. Said he stopped a guy, dude said he couldn’t have got him speeding, because he had 2 radar detectors. Trooper said they got him by plane, guy said no I have that covered too. The guy pointed at his dash, said the guy had one detector facing forward, and one beside it pointing straight up. He said he was laughing so hard, he told the guy that he’d tried so hard, he’d let him go just this once. He and I have laughed about that for several years now.
Reminds me of the trooper I was riding with one night in1975. He stopped a car for speeding. He was walking up to the car and then he noticed the driver was gyrating and cussing and beating the dashboard and the steering wheel. He put his hand on his 357 and slowly crept up to the car's door. He sneaked a peek inside and turned around laughing, looking at me, and giving me the OK sign. He got the guy's DL and brought it back to the car still chuckling. When he got back in the car the trooper told me the driver had a fuzz buster and had snatched it off the dashboard and was flailing it around beating the crap out of it and his car while screaming at the top of his lungs, "Gdam POS cost me three tickets this week!" He didn't have the heart to tell him he had an on off switch on the radar antenna that defeated the detectors.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
They also operate VASCAR from their helos. If you pay attention on some highways you'll see white rectangles painted on the shoulder. Those are set at predetermined intervals and monitored visually from the air. Using a stopwatch a unit performs a simple time/distance calculation to give your mph through the zone. So when you see a painted white block look up!
And if you are speeding and see an aircraft, slow down to 50 MPH through the next blocks. He has to get an average of three time checks and not just one

Latest posts

Top Bottom