Age yourself by naming a store/business that no longer exists that you frequented.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DB44

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought my very first brand new rifle at TG&Y,,,
I was 15 years old and drove my Suzuki 80 to get it.

The rifle was one of those "fancified" M1 Carbines,,,
With all of the shiny brass fittings.

The guy at the counter asked me if my parents knew about this,,,
I said, they did and he let me pay for it in cash.

I miss the mid-60's.

Aarond

I bought my son his first gun there, it was a Marlin model 60 and he still has it.
He is now 46 years old!

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Got me thinking about that 22 rifle I bought at Otasco , with no parental involvement, at the age of 12. It was a Stevens Savage 87A semi-auto. Had the 'gill slits' on the left side. Wish I still had it. Traded it a few years later for a Marlin Glenfield Model 75… more carbine looking 22. I still have that one....rides in a leather scabbard on my 4-wheeler.

Last edited:

Jon3830

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Claybrooks diner on north Peoria. (tabletop jukeboxes)
Nelsons Buffeteria downtown Tulsa. (I know there is one on Memorial)
Black Eyed Pea
Harringtons
Builders Square
Payless Cashways
Burgess Hardware on Southwest Blvd.
Nelsons in downtown was good, we used to eat at The Green Onion too. I like the Cajun Boiling Pot I remember the first time I took my wife there when we were dating and she had never seen anything like it before and couldn't get over them dumping the food on the table now days she would be all about it.

WoodsCraft

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Southwest shooters was excellent. Only place I could find starfire 9mm or much sd ammo in OKC in 1997ish ime

By the late 90's the bloom was off the rose for Southwest Shooters, they started engaging in hanky panking like pulling one magazine from the pistol boxes and selling it with just one mag etc. It was in its hey day one of the great gun stores in Oklahoma though . I really miss Fred Baker's Outdoor America , some people didn't like the way old man Fred did business entirely but his place was a real gun store not like the one's we have now to choose from.

WoodsCraft

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Charlies Surplus when it was still in Midwest City , he opened a much paler reflection of the store in Ada before he died but back in the day he had the best surplus store ever.

Latest posts

Top Bottom