Almost spring home improvement time... Tulsa granite or marble contractors?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
We've gotten some estimates so far.

I like granite, the wife likes cultured marble for the bathrooms and granite for the kitchen. She's concerned about making things too over-the-top if we decide to sell in a coupla years. Our house is nice but older (1977), in a decent neighborhood, but if we do too much to it, we'll price ourselves out of the area.

The windows thread got me started thinking about this, as I'm sure some folks here have had this done. We've not been overly impressed with some of our options here in Bartlesville, except the guy who does the cultured marble, and I'm not really sold on the product.

We've been told (by all the other contractors/dealers) to stay away from Lowe's (big surprise) because there's no service after the sale, getting warranty work is next to impossible, no one will stand behind it, yadda yadda yadda. I do gotta say, it took them forever to come out and get us an estimate, and then another week to get it to us, and then the stupid thing didn't even have one of the bathrooms on it. <sigh>

I've seen some signs for good-looking prices while wandering through Tulsa, so I thought I'd ask whom you guys used. Not sure if anyone there will even come up here, but it may be worth a shot.

Advice? Pitfalls? Bad companies to stay away from?

I'm open to whatever you guys can tell me...

We've got 3 bathrooms and in the kitchen, we have around 50 sq ft of countertop. As I said, the wife doesn't want granite in the bathrooms, and I'd like to see matching granite throughout, so we may be at an impasse there...

Realtor's opinions are obviously quite welcome, too. ;) We're not looking for ostentatious or over-the-top or even "elegant"... just something nicer than our current colored seashell sinks, if ya know what I mean? ;)

ruckerduck

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would stay away from marble. I refinish stone as part of my job. Marble in a bathroom or kitchen will need to be restored at some point. Almost everything used in a bathroom/kitchen will etch or stain marble. On the other hand, I've poured muratic acid on black marble to etch it and it did nothing. As far as an installer, give Midwest Marble a call, 918-587-8193.

TulsaGeoff

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have marble in my shower and it is stained badly. I've tried alot of difference procedures to remove it. White vinegar, citric acid, buffer with compound and nothing makes it better. Im just renting this place, but after seeing this I will never have marble in my shower in the future.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you want a more subdued look in granite, you might look at a "brushed" treatment. I had that done to a dark, nearly black granite surface in my master bathroom, and boy, what a difference it made. No longer did the surface look hard and shiny and formal - it now looks "softer" and warmer. I get compliments from everyone who sees it. Try Tulsa Granite - that's where I got my surfaces, and they'll arranged for the brushed treatment.

Dr. HK

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There is a guy who was on here not sure if he is here any more. His username was charlesthegraniteguy of something like that. He is in Tulsa and he is a great guy! See if you can find him

Okiedog

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have you considered concrete counter tops and vanities? We had them in our old house and as soon as our new cabinets are finished we're having them built here. My wife loves them and they're very low maintenance.

Uncivil

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I personally work for Stonemen Granite and have for some time now. We are an established company with a full fabrication shop, insured, A+ rating with the BBB and multiple Parade of Homes wins. I could go on and on. Give me a PM and i will give you contact information and answer any questions you may have or just give us a call 918-851-3400

Latest posts

Top Bottom