Almost two years ago I came to this forum seeking advice in drafting a "No Firearms"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pistolpete2002

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm a loan officer at a bank and am trying to convince them into letting officers carry concealed, but am having no luck. There are at least 4 of us that have our licenses, but the CEO, COO and security officer are strongly against any weapons in the bank. They've even put a new sign saying no weapons at all, including knives.

Any advice from the board on different angles or pitch I can give them to help persuade them into letting us licensed folks carry??

Silveravnt

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Any advice from the board on different angles or pitch I can give them to help persuade them into letting us licensed folks carry??
a bank is a unique place. Ive never heard of a bad guy going to a bank to hurt people. They aleays just want to take some money and get out. I'd bet your superiors are more worried about lawsuits from you accidentally shooting a customer while aiming at a robber that they are about your safety.

I wish you luck.

pistolpete2002

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
a bank is a unique place. Ive never heard of a bad guy going to a bank to hurt people. They aleays just want to take some money and get out. I'd bet your superiors are more worried about lawsuits from you accidentally shooting a customer while aiming at a robber that they are about your safety.

I wish you luck.

You're exactly right. Most people just want the money and that is it. If that were the case, I'd let them have it and go. I only want to be able to defend myself and others if armed robbers came in and lined us up in the vault to basically execute us like what happened many many years ago at the Sirloin Stockade or if they became violent or threatening in other ways.

Murph

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score

You might point out that people who take the trouble to get a carry permit are among the most trustworthy in the country in two areas. Permit holders are champs at recognizing when defensive use is called for to preserve life as well as when such use is inappropriate. They are also extremely competent at avoiding collateral damage. We can confidently make these assertions by pointing out that while the population of permit holders now numbers in the millions, news reports on permit holders 'errors of judgement' and/or 'lack of skill' are so low as to be basically non-existent. For additional support you could point out the significance that this lack of coverage occurs in a media environment that is biased towards keeping any negative 'stories' about firearms in the national news cycle as much as possible while limiting or even ignoring reports of defensive gun use .

IANAL but ignoring the recognizable benefits associated with the presence of permit holders might render the bank liable for any damages suffered by employees or customers during a robbery or other life threatening event.

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
sign for my employer that had an exception for OSDA permit holders.
Thanks to the advice I got here I came up with this sign which I was very proud of.
View attachment 25554
View attachment 25555

In the wake of the recent media frenzy over shootings of unarmed people by armed people, my employer asked me to make new signs that are more strongly worded. This is what will be going up at all of our locations.
View attachment 25556

We feel that we need more gun control and the best way to control our stores is with guns.
Personally I also find that the best way to control my safely is with guns. Yay Gun control!

Of course you and your employer have a legal right to ban visible firearms at your business but don't try to claim that the choice is pro-liberty.

So you should probably go ahead and remove the word Liberty from your avatar.

Silveravnt

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Of course you and your employer have a legal right to ban visible firearms at your business but don't try to claim that the choice is pro-liberty.
So you should probably go ahead and remove the word Liberty from your avatar.
So you like your freedom to carry openly but not our freedom to control our property? Seems hypocritical. Just like all liberty, yours ends where mine begins. In this case that line is a property line.

Murph

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
That can't stop us wishing. My big problem area is schools. Way before the recent shootings it bothered me that I had to disarm before dropping my kids off or picking them up. I've spent way to much time thinking about how I'd feel if I was in that situation and a bad guy came in and I could do nothing to stop him.
I know right, kind of the opposite of the lady who left her pistol in her vehicle while she ate lunch with her folks at a Luby's restaurant down in Texas awhile back. This mucker drove his truck into the restaurant and started shooting and she ended up losing both of her parents. I've wondered about how she must feel, it can't be pleasant. Times her grief by anywhere from a billion to infinity. I don't think I would be able to face disarming myself and then being present while my kids are shot by some nameless psycho. Not that there is ever a good way to losing a child, but it sure wouldn't make coping any easier IMHO.

pistolpete2002

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You might point out that people who take the trouble to get a carry permit are among the most trustworthy in the country in two areas. Permit holders are champs at recognizing when defensive use is called for to preserve life as well as when such use is inappropriate. They are also extremely competent at avoiding collateral damage. We can confidently make these assertions by pointing out that while the population of permit holders now numbers in the millions, news reports on permit holders 'errors of judgement' and/or 'lack of skill' are so low as to be basically non-existent. For additional support you could point out the significance that this lack of coverage occurs in a media environment that is biased towards keeping any negative 'stories' about firearms in the national news cycle as much as possible while limiting or even ignoring reports of defensive gun use .

IANAL but ignoring the recognizable benefits associated with the presence of permit holders might render the bank liable for any damages suffered by employees or customers during a robbery or other life threatening event.

Very good points. I appreciate the help. Maybe I can talk some sense into the higher ups. I'm not going to force the issue with them because I think that'll make them more hesitant.

Latest posts

Top Bottom