America 101 for Foreigners

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Gamers are the biggest loosers on the face of the earth. They contribute very little to society.
And that goes for time spent on computers also, with as much time as I've spent on computers, I could have had a PhD if I'd spent as much time studying. But a lot of my time is spent on research (how to repair things) and the news. Either way it's a big loss of time for me.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Gamers are the biggest loosers on the face of the earth. They contribute very little to society.
Really? I’m a gamer and far from a loser. I am a Christian and have a great career and a wife of 17 years and a great son. But thanks for stereotyping gamers. Also, my son is a gamer. But I have his account locked to where he can’t talk to people and he can’t access certain content. He doesn’t have a cell phone either. I don’t just let him do whatever he wants. I actually play an important role in his life. Unlike so many dads today.

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Still waiting for someone to make the case that video games are redeemable

Hand eye coordination

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/.../201608/video-game-play-benefits-coordination

https://sites.psu.edu/ist446/2017/04/23/video-games-and-hand-eye-coordination/

Teamwork

https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/4d27/50c3659cf851af601f774055d93d55b46675.pdf

https://psychcentral.com/news/2017/04/17/online-gamers-may-excel-at-teamwork-in-jobs/119222.html

This doesn't even cover the fact that people play video games for FUN! And this whole off topic discussion started with your blanket, if rather idiotic, statement that all gamers were losers. Hate to break it to you, but there are probably a lot of people here who play online games. Until I started having issues with c/t in my wrists I would play several games a few hours a week. My step son works, pays rent, pays his own bills, yet spends a lot of his free time online. His game library in steam comes close to rivaling my book collection. And you want to tell me that my step son is a loser? Guess what, I take offense to that. I don't really give a rats ass what you think about gaming. Its your opinion, you are entitled to it regardless of how obtuse it is. But when you want to label every gamer in a negative way because of your opinion, well like I said, don't be upset when you are judged for it.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Still waiting for someone to make the case that video games are redeemable

Here’s another article that touches on the societal, psychological, and physiological issues of gaming. While the article addresses the very real possibility of addiction to gaming, it also mentions the possibility of using video games to sharpen the cognitive skills of adults. I don’t know if your mindset will allow for that, but it sounds redeemable to me.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK274562/

Unless you consider the NIH not to be legitimate?

SigBoySam

Marksman
Reaction score
Yeah, ya caught me, dunno why I said 350. The other day I looked up the smallest big block (never bothered to look) and found out in the late 50's/early 60's they had a 348 big block in the W series. I always thought the smallest was the 400. Guess that discussion got stuck in the ole frontal lobe.

*edit* Actually, I think I was going for a 350 4 bolt. I dunno, I was just trying to prove a point that had nothing to do with motor size. Kudos to you for picking out my error and laughing about it, completely validates you agreeing with lee right?

Actually in Lee’s first post he called gamers “loosers” as in “not tight”, which really shouldn’t offend anyone but I guess it did.

I just follow the crowd.

lee1000

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here’s another article that touches on the societal, psychological, and physiological issues of gaming. While the article addresses the very real possibility of addiction to gaming, it also mentions the possibility of using video games to sharpen the cognitive skills of adults. I don’t know if your mindset will allow for that, but it sounds redeemable to me.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK274562/

Unless you consider the NIH not to be legitimate?

You know what else sharpens cognitive skills? Actually learning a skill, for instance gunsmithing, hunting, working on cars, woodworking, home improvement. I'm bedding my first rifle over the next week.

From your article:
"Although evidence shows that some video games designed for health and educational purposes are effective, many of the assessment studies and trials that have been conducted are not of equal quality and often lack a control group and adequate power, noted Farah. Isolated studies are difficult to interpret, and replicability in real-world application issues remains a concern. In addition, Farah noted that some of the leading researchers in the video game field have vested interests in which they may want to commercialize their product, once positive results are found."

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hey, you said find something that shows them redeemable, I did. Now you want to deflect "oh there are other things blah blah blah). Doesn't change the fact that gaming increases hand eye coordination and cooperation skills, not to mention problem solving skills when dealing games that include puzzles to figure out.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You know what else sharpens cognitive skills? Actually learning a skill, for instance gunsmithing, hunting, working on cars, woodworking, home improvement. I'm bedding my first rifle over the next week.

From your article:
"Although evidence shows that some video games designed for health and educational purposes are effective, many of the assessment studies and trials that have been conducted are not of equal quality and often lack a control group and adequate power, noted Farah. Isolated studies are difficult to interpret, and replicability in real-world application issues remains a concern. In addition, Farah noted that some of the leading researchers in the video game field have vested interests in which they may want to commercialize their product, once positive results are found."

All that is fine, but are you now willing to concede that gaming can have redeemable qualities, just like the other activities you mentioned? Gaming might not produce anything tangible like a well-tuned LD rifle, a car that now runs, or a new kitchen cabinet hung in place of an old one, but what of cognitive improvement? Still not a redeemable activity?

Latest posts

Top Bottom