America 101 for Foreigners

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lee1000

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey, you said find something that shows them redeemable, I did. Now you want to deflect "oh there are other things blah blah blah). Doesn't change the fact that gaming increases hand eye coordination and cooperation skills, not to mention problem solving skills when dealing games that include puzzles to figure out.

Haha so do hundreds of other activities and and they probably do a better job of it. You're reaching, you're trying to justify the fact you've wasted hundreds if not thousands of hours accomplishing nothing, you beat the game, congratulations.

lee1000

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All that is fine, but are you now willing to concede that gaming can have redeemable qualities, just like the other activities you mentioned? Gaming might not produce anything tangible like a well-tuned LD rifle, a car that now runs, or a new kitchen cabinet hung in place of an old one, but what of cognitive improvement? Still not a redeemable activity?

There is very little that is redeemable about playing video games. I mentioned that earlier.

And I do realize not all gamers are losers and that many have have successful careers etc.

I will not conceded that there are 100s of other activities that are far far far more productive than gaming. Again, they're a waste of time and there is very little redeemable about them.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There is very little that is redeemable about playing video games. I mentioned that earlier.

And I do realize not all gamers are losers and that many have have successful careers etc.

I will not conceded that there are 100s of other activities that are far far far more productive than gaming. Again, they're a waste of time and there is very little redeemable about them.

Productive in what sense? Tangible results? What of cognitive results? What metrics do you use to determine the level of productivity of one activity versus that of another activity?

At least you concede that not all gamers are losers. That’s progress.

lee1000

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Productive in what sense? Tangible results? What of cognitive results? What metrics do you use to determine the level of productivity of one activity versus that of another activity?

At least you concede that not all gamers are losers. That’s progress.

Sometimes you just have to use common sense. I've learned a little bit about the principles of machining through precision reloading and amateur gunsmithing. I acquired a skill, a skill that I can pass on to others and will live with forever.

For less than the price of a gaming console I can purchase the tooling required to build and fit a 1911. For a metric I would use time invested vs skills acquired. It might take me 80 man hours to build a 1911.

What to do acquire by playing a video game for 80 hours?

lee1000

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Cognitive skills, which can be applied to other activities. But the real point here is that you’re finally willing to admit that not all gamers are losers. Like I said, progress.

I'm pretty sure there's going to be some pretty heavy problem solving involved in fitting a 1911.

Do you think there's more value in playing a video game for 80 hours or building a 1911 for 80 hours?

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure there's going to be some pretty heavy problem solving involved in fitting a 1911.

Do you think there's more value in playing a video game for 80 hours or building a 1911 for 80 hours?

If you prefer to play video games to building a 1911? Sure. It’s all about values and personal preferences.

But again, the main point here is not dismissing an entire group of people as being losers, simply because you have a different set of values and consider that set to be superior. No one with an open mind and an appreciation for the diversity of people will agree with the “all gamers are losers” mindset.

Latest posts

Top Bottom