American Airlines Tulsa

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gl55

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This be what you said...

Then this be what I said...

Then this be what you said ...

And this here is your post #65 from way back that doesn't really have anything to do with anyone other than you...

So... I don't understand your point. Are you trying to say that just because you were able to easily handle being laid off that everyone else should be able to as well?

Like I said in my first reply... "some people handle it better than others."

Perhaps I'm getting it all wrong... maybe your post was meant as some kind of encouragement to the soon to be laid off workers.

Corporations have been downsizing for at least 20 years. The days of working for a large corporation for life have been over for at least 20 years. The people at AA are not the first to be going through this. I would bet that most that worked there made more money than 80% of hourly workers in this State. Just like I did and the GM employees did. I would also bet that most were living pay check to pay check. I don't feel sorry or grieve as you say for people who were making that kind of money in this State with our cost of living and didn't prepare for what has been happening all over the country for the last 20 years. Yes a lot of people are going to lose their jobs, but life goes on. The problem is most people are going to want or expect to find another job making the same money and benefits with the same type of physical work. That isn't going to happen. But there are jobs out there and there are ways to make money IF YOU TRY.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Corporations have been downsizing for at least 20 years. The days of working for a large corporation for life have been over for at least 20 years. The people at AA are not the first to be going through this. I would bet that most that worked there made more money than 80% of hourly workers in this State. Just like I did and the GM employees did. I would also bet that most were living pay check to pay check. I don't feel sorry or grieve as you say for people who were making that kind of money in this State with our cost of living and didn't prepare for what has been happening all over the country for the last 20 years. Yes a lot of people are going to lose their jobs, but life goes on. The problem is most people are going to want or expect to find another job making the same money and benefits with the same type of physical work. That isn't going to happen. But there are jobs out there and there are ways to make money IF YOU TRY.

Ugh...

Ya, I understand the concept of pulling yourself up and getting along with life. At the same time, I can also have and show empathy towards those who are facing what (for most) is going to be a difficult situation. You obviously and declaratively cannot... that's a shame.

Ps. Nobody asked you to feel sorry for anyone. By the same token, nobody asked you to come down hard on people who are going to lose their jobs.

Pps. I didn't begin the whole "grieve" conversation, I was just providing a definition of the word which does apply. And it's not for YOU to grieve, it's the people who are losing their jobs that are grieving over it.

Cue

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I an hourly and I make double what a typical AA employee makes. JB is an hourly employee. Doctors are hourly employees. People need to open their eyes to the white collar world.

Leemaxx

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
I've worked at AA for 15 year, started when I was 18. It's all I know. Most of my friend work there and are going through the same thing. Frankly I'm f@#%ing scared. I'm also a little excited for the new opportunities I hope to have. I don't really know why people on the thread are being insensitive. If you have something supportive to say, great share it. If not go start an "I hate people thread".

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I an hourly and I make double what a typical AA employee makes. JB is an hourly employee. Doctors are hourly employees. People need to open their eyes to the white collar world.

Not most of them nowadays. The trend is toward employed physicians with salary guarantees and productivity bonuses. It's much easier to screw them that way, as well as control them.

ptp

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am in a little different position than the AA guys. I own my own company. However, last year I lost my key employee and was kind of nervous for the future of my company. I took the time to reinvent myself and my company and am currently in the process of hiring two other guys that will (hopefully) be just as good if not better.

Sometimes when we get a push off of a cliff, we fall all the way to the bottom. Other times we grab hold of whatever we can and start climbing even higher.

gl55

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What kind of severence packages are AA employees going to get? I think Obama is offering up to 99 weeks of umemployment benefits. I doubt AA union employees are going to be let go without some kind of compensation. Any moneys to go to school for retraining?

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What kind of severence packages are AA employees going to get? I think Obama is offering up to 99 weeks of umemployment benefits. I doubt AA union employees are going to be let go without some kind of compensation. Any moneys to go to school for retraining?

Severence packages do normally apply when companies do a reduction in force. In a bankruptcy situation, I'm not sure what laws are in place or what is typically done. There seems to be a possibility that they might not get severance. What is your point?

On that note, does anyone inside AA have any more information on what's happening?

This is the latest on severence from the local 514 website:

http://twu514.org/faq/what-will-happen-to-our-severance-if-there-is-a-layoff-do-we-still-get-it/

What will happen to our severance if there is a layoff; do we still get it?
January 6, 2012

At this time we don’t know what contract changes will be proposed by management or what changes will end up being implemented in the bankruptcy proceedings

Latest posts

Top Bottom