American Blackout on Nat Geo tonite at 8:00

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pokem807

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I thought NatGeo did a great job, which surprised me since Doomsday Preppers is abysmal. Heard lots of people criticize how quickly things turned to sh1t--and they may be right--but I think a rapidly occurring coast-to-coast blackout would affect people much differently than a regional event. The main thing I took away from the show was that NO ONE was prepared to deal with the situation, not even the "survivalist" family who bugged out to Colorado. Had the power not come back on, they would have been just as screwed as the dumb blonde in NYC who was worrying about where her next latte was coming from. Lots of food for thought, and I hope that it gets folks out of their comfort zone a little bit.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It was entertaining enough since I have to wait a couple days to watch TWD.

Good simple lessons for people: Keep some extra food and water around. Buy a damn manual can opener. Learn how to defend yourself. Shoot the boyfriend.

jrusling

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It was entertaining enough since I have to wait a couple days to watch TWD.

Good simple lessons for people: Keep some extra food and water around. Buy a damn manual can opener. Learn how to defend yourself. Shoot the boyfriend.
Also keep some cash on hand.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I ordered some stuff during and after the show. I most certainly ordered candles. I also ordered a water BOB for my bathtub.

This made me giggle ... Mostly because I told GC in NO UNCERTAIN TERMS that I needed some fire extinquishers around this joint ... NOT more candles and matches ... We've have a couple of those bathtub water thingees up on the shelf, right next to the Berkey and the replacement filters -- ALL of which I hope I can donate new, in the box to someone in another 40 years or so ...

I tend to notice the strangest things (or so I'm told ... :rolleyes2) but the things I took away from Sunday night's airing:

1. Marie Osmond is gonna wholesome up Wise Foods' image, I guess. Wonder how much that "little" endorsement cost them? All I know is I won't be trying their stuff again any time soon ... Bleech ... I'd much rather dehydrate, can, otherwise preserve my own, hit up the Mormon cannery or order from a reputable source (like Honeyville Grains). I also prefer stocking individual components and making my own mixes, as opposed to buying pre-made entrees from someone else. That way I can control the amount of salt, sugar, etc. that goes into whatever I'm eating ...

2. I was rather entertained by the little tidbits of info provided throughout the movie in the lower left hand corner of the screen. If you get a chance to watch it again, check them out ...

3. Never underestimate a man's love for his can of peaches ... :shocked:

4. And last but certainly not least (and probably not even really last :naughty:) ... Know all those experts on Doomsday Preppers who tell us at the end of whatever episode that there is a .0000000000000000000000000004873589795734957% chance of whatever disaster is covered by that show actually happening?? Yeah, well, according to the trailers for this season's shows, all those experts are WRONG!! Those disasters are HAPPENING NOW!! :rollingla (I know, it's not funny ... but seriously ... it's just so damned funny! Good Lord, I really dislike people!! :D)

J.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
BB, you ought to put that Berkey to use! We use ours every day and I can't see us going back to tap water. We were blowing through the plastic bottles like crazy and now we might buy a case every 3-4 months for sports/school stuff for the kids. Set the Berkey free!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom