Ancestry.com - DNA KIT

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My wife and I each got this cool DNA kit from Ancestry.com for Christmas. Basically, you spit in this test tube they provide and then you send it back to them in a pre-paid mailer that's also part of the kit. It takes a few weeks to have them analyze your DNA then you will get a breakdown of your ethnicity; it tells you what makes you ... "you" from an ethnic/DNA standpoint anyway. A friend of mine did it and man, was he ever surprised to find out he wasn't exactly what he though the was! He was always going on and on about being "Italian"... "blah blah blah, I like-a da spaghetti anna da pizza 'cause I'm-a Italian, blah blah blah my Grandmother make-a da besta meatball 'cause she is da Italian." (Guy thought he was Tony Soprano or something I guess). Anyway, I have always just thought of myself just as a "Caucasian" so that's what I usually check on whatever form I am filling out. Sometimes I just put "non-racial human bean" if there's a place for "other." Anybody here done this DNA kit? If so, were you surprised? Or just validated? Or just curious?

Frederick

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I got one for my birthday and send it in. I haven't gotten the results yet, but we'll see.

I'm curious what the results will be. I suspect it will be mostly Irish, with a touch of Japanese and various other northern European origins. My grandmother is Japanese-American.

I'd be surprised if anything else came up.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a family member who did this. She is of known Native American heritage. When her results came back, guess what. It showed NO Native American lineage. Whatever. It's your money.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
lLxCoWM.jpg

Frederick

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a family member who did this. She is of known Native American heritage. When her results came back, guess what. It showed NO Native American lineage. Whatever. It's your money.

Maybe she's not really native American. Not unusual for people to claim **** like that. Or maybe someone isn't telling the whole truth?
Who knows. DNA don't lie.

unless the whole test is BS, but who knows.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My sister is seriously into genealogy. She has enough family data to fill two books she had printed. We are a diverse hodgepodge of DNA from all over the world. British ancestry is the most prominent.

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A quick search shows that these dna tests are open to interpretation, and people have got different results from different companies.
The gist seems to be it's for fun, but doesn't give you an iron clad, detailed view of your ancestry.

Frederick

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A quick search shows that these dna tests are open to interpretation, and people have got different results from different companies.
The gist seems to be it's for fun, but doesn't give you an iron clad, detailed view of your ancestry.

That's fine, as long as you go in with the right mindset, then.

It was free for me, since it was a gift. So it's not exactly a huge loss. still kind of a cool thing, though.

Latest posts

Top Bottom