Ancestry.com - DNA KIT

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frederick

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In this day and age I just assumed you couldbe whatever you feel like on any given day and use the bathroom that most closely matches your feelings on that day.

Unlike your gender, your race/ethnicity/origin is just kinda a cool thing. none of that **** actually really matters that much, it's more of a curiosity. some people put too much stock in being one race or the other, as if being a certain race or having a certain amount of blood imbues a certain characteristic from that race or blood. We're all from the same species. Being 1/8 Japanese does not give me superb math skills, and being Irish doesn't help me hold my liquor down.

Gender on the other hand is different, because the deviation in certain physical characteristics is substantial.

okie362

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
All kidding aside, if I thought the results were accurate I think it would be interesting at the very least to give it a try. Would be interesting to know just how much of the information handed down from generation to generation is correct and how much was fabricated. Would be even more interesting if there was a way to understand what events caused the fabrication.

Frederick

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
All kidding aside, if I thought the results were accurate I think it would be interesting at the very least to give it a try. Would be interesting to know just how much of the information handed down from generation to generation is correct and how much was fabricated. Would be even more interesting if there was a way to understand what events caused the fabrication.

Hard to say. But i'd imagine a lot of people make up certain things. Native American blood is a big one, i've met a lot of white people that claim some Native-American ancestry, that's not unusual at all. Having Native-American blood is kinda like a cool thing. Of course, you're not native-american/black/asian or whatever unless you look like that race in my opinion. I also have a creeping suspicion that a lot of those that claim native american ancestry very possibly have none. That's not to say they're lying, but those sorts of things get passed down, too. Want some of that "wild" cherokee blood in them.

I come from the South, and my great-great-great grandad was a slaveowner. I know that a whole of interracial relationships occurred during the past. If you passed as white, they ignored it and lied about it. This stigma existed for a very long time, and a lot of the older generations are probably still inclined to lie about it, or were told lies from their relatives. So you could have some secret African slave DNA from an illicit tryst between a white and black, that they tried to cover up. Or worse, a slave rape, which was not uncommon back then.

Same goes for other races. Back in the one-drop-rule days, or just because of the stigma, it was a very taboo subject. so even people who think they're 100% white might have something there.

foghorn918

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As an ancestry.com user and having done their DNA kits for myself and my mom, we have been able to make contact with 3rd and 4th cousins and share information, documents, and photos to learn more about our lineage and common ancestors. If you're on Ancestry as a subscriber, it is a beneficial tool for genealogy research.
Through this I have been able to provide some photos to distant relatives that had never seen a picture of their great grandfather. Another series of photos I was able to share brought a distance cousin to tears to be able to see his boyhood home and photos of his parents. All of his photos had been lost to a fire. I have also been on the receiving end too. All of that because of the DNA links that gave me leads to follow up on.
Plus I enjoyed seeing the results, for me it validated the genealogy research I had already done. Besides I always wanted to be a Viking :)

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What did it show?

Maybe she's not really native American. Not unusual for people to claim **** like that. Or maybe someone isn't telling the whole truth?
Who knows. DNA don't lie.

unless the whole test is BS, but who knows.

Oh, she definitely has Native American ancestors. One great-grandparent was full-blood Cherokee, which is obvious from the photos ... unless the photos are a cruel hoax for no apparent reason. I don't remember what it showed ... it's been a year ago ... I'll have to ask. We all basically just blew it off because the results were so far off base. Know of another person who did it whose parents came to the U.S. straight from Sicily. I don't know what that one showed. I'll see if I can find out. IF it's reliable, I wouldn't mind doing it myself, just out of curiosity. I'm skeptical of spending $99 for something that may be totally unrealistic.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As an ancestry.com user and having done their DNA kits for myself and my mom, we have been able to make contact with 3rd and 4th cousins and share information, documents, and photos to learn more about our lineage and common ancestors. If you're on Ancestry as a subscriber, it is a beneficial tool for genealogy research.
Through this I have been able to provide some photos to distant relatives that had never seen a picture of their great grandfather. Another series of photos I was able to share brought a distance cousin to tears to be able to see his boyhood home and photos of his parents. All of his photos had been lost to a fire. I have also been on the receiving end too. All of that because of the DNA links that gave me leads to follow up on.
Plus I enjoyed seeing the results, for me it validated the genealogy research I had already done. Besides I always wanted to be a Viking :)

Now this is what I'm talking about. I have no idea what my make-up is, my dad always said we were a Swedish/English mix with a bit of Cherokee in there. Who knows? And really, who cares? Even if you just think of it as a novelty, I still think it's pretty cool. It's sort of like this thing we used to have brought to the campus back when I was at both UCO and Redlands Community College, before I retired form Higher Ed, called "The Human Race Machine". The idea is that there is no gene for "race" - that race is more of a social concept than anything. It was kind of like one of those photo booths; you would sit in front of a screen and the machine would "map" your face then morph you into what you might look like as Caucasian, Black, Native American, Hispanic, Asian, or Indian (as in New Delhi, not Apache). It was cool as hell! Later versions could also let you run your age up 5, 10, 15, 20, or 25 years to see what you might look like then; talk about scary, Holy Crap! You could also change your gender; and a male and female could sit side by side and it would show you what your children might look like. Lots of the faculty would have students run through the HRM then write a short paper on their thoughts. One thing I found out from sitting in front of the thing: I'd make one heck of an ugly woman and it was said by many of my fellow faculty and staff members that I should not be allowed to have offspring.

cktad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ancestry.com will tell you to rely more on your proven family tree than the DNA test. They also have changed some results over the years as their database got bigger. I did the DNA test and was mildly surprised but then it made sense as DNA has been spread far and wide over the centuries.
That and as my mother used to say "Mommas baby, Daddys maybe".

Latest posts

Top Bottom