Ancestry.com - DNA KIT

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a family member who did this. She is of known Native American heritage. When her results came back, guess what. It showed NO Native American lineage. Whatever. It's your money.

^^^ This.

My mom and her sisters are having this done. All from the same mother and father. Mom's is back and it says she doesn't have a lick of indian blood in her. Her grandmother was thought to be full blood chickasaw but isn't on the tribal rolls. You could can clearly see she was predominately indian though and a couple of the sisters look it too. Mom's came back English, Irish, and from the Iberian peninsula and some real low numbers from the extreme NW Africa area. Now if they say "Iberian peninsula" how is it they can parse English and Irish from each other? And if you look this is a pretty small geographic region. I call BS.

Frederick

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
^^^ This.

My mom and her sisters are having this done. All from the same mother and father. Mom's is back and it says she doesn't have a lick of indian blood in her. Her grandmother was thought to be full blood chickasaw but isn't on the tribal rolls. You could can clearly see she was predominately indian though and a couple of the sisters look it too. Mom's came back English, Irish, and from the Iberian peninsula and some real low numbers from the extreme NW Africa area. Now if they say "Iberian peninsula" how is it they can parse English and Irish from each other? And if you look this is a pretty small geographic region. I call BS.

Maybe there aren't as many indians as one would think. Spanish tend to be darker, the moors and all that. Maybe it's not chickasaw but Spanish/African? I don't know why you wouldn't want to be on the tribal rolls, that's odd. I'd assume if one really had Native-American blood, one would be on the rolls, if one had sufficient blood for it. There are benefits and all that. I don't know about chickasaw specifically. Iberian Peninsula is awfully close to NW Africa. It's possible that's where the Iberian came from, as well. Maybe she's got some African or middle eastern blood.

I don't know anything, though. I'm just naturally skeptical of the fact that there are so many Indian white boys in Oklahoma. I've heard rumors that i've got Native-American in me, too. Purportedly i've got family members that look native American. That's the story my mother's told me. She's from Ohio.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if that turned out to be ********. I don't trust it, what my family members say about it. But i could be wrong, who really knows? I wasn't there when the deeds were done.

Now that i think about it, if it is African/Moor blood, it's possible that the older generation might want to hide it by claiming to be Native-American, that was very common in the old days. Because Native Americans were not as looked down upon as blacks back in ye olden days.

But of course, this is all speculation and i don't really know what i'm talking about, honestly.

Last edited:

Frederick

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not really. It was different 75 to 100 years ago. They lied and said they were 1/16 blood when they were actually 1/2. Discrimination was still practiced back then.

That makes sense. I still believe that there are probably a lot of African-Americans who were mixed with whites, who claimed native blood to avoid the much worse discrimination African-Americans received. But obviously i know nothing about your family history.

The whole test could be BS for all i know.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I thought about doing this but didn't know how well it would work. If it came back and said I wasn't Indian it would be a crock. I have a card. I believe most of my heritage is french and Indian. I was told I have a grandpa somewhere down the line that was black. Must be way back. And white of course. Probably something else but who knows.

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a family member who did this. She is of known Native American heritage. When her results came back, guess what. It showed NO Native American lineage. Whatever. It's your money.
There are many good reasons for these types of discrepancies, and some very interesting ones for sure (e.g., cuckholdery).

A quick search shows that these dna tests are open to interpretation, and people have got different results from different companies.
The gist seems to be it's for fun, but doesn't give you an iron clad, detailed view of your ancestry.
Some are very accurate, but you do have to choose them wisely. Accurate genetic analyses have quickly gone from $1000+ to $100 or so.

Would be interesting to know just how much of the information handed down from generation to generation is correct and how much was fabricated. Would be even more interesting if there was a way to understand what events caused the fabrication.
Yes, there is a way! Very interesting, indeed!

Frederick

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There are many good reasons for these types of discrepancies, and some very interesting ones for sure (e.g., cuckholdery).

Some are very accurate, but you do have to choose them wisely. Accurate genetic analyses have quickly gone from $1000+ to $100 or so.

Yes, there is a way! Very interesting, indeed!

You seem to be very convinced of the accuracy of these tests. May i ask why you have such confidence?

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oh, she definitely has Native American ancestors. One great-grandparent was full-blood Cherokee, which is obvious from the photos ... unless the photos are a cruel hoax for no apparent reason.

Here was Ancestry.com's analysis:

35% Great Britain

30% Ireland

22% Europe West

5% Scandinavian

3% Finland/Northwest Russia

2% West Asia

<1% European Jewish

<1% Iberian Peninsula

<1% European East

Latest posts

Top Bottom