Any guitar players? Other hobbies?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ghostrider

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new here. Just wondering if there are any guitar players as well as gun owners? I play an Eric Johnson Fender Stratocaster and also have a 62 Re-issue Stratocaster made in Fenders Custom Shop. Any other interests? Hobbies? I also build armor model kits from various conflicts throughout history.

Mr10mm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am glad you brought this up. I do not play but my daughter just started, she is wanting a fender strat also but I do not know anything about them. Is there a big difference between the ones made in mexico and made in usa besides price? Do i spend the extra to get her the made in usa one?

Rajder

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am glad you brought this up. I do not play but my daughter just started, she is wanting a fender strat also but I do not know anything about them. Is there a big difference between the ones made in mexico and made in usa besides price? Do i spend the extra to get her the made in usa one?

If she is just learning get her a Mexican Strat. The American strats are awesome guitars but to a begginer they are complete overkill. I've seen a thousand times when someone decides they are going to learn to play and purchases a expensive American guitar just to only be played a couple of times and put away. Also, since she is just starting out she probably doesn't even know what type of music she wants to play so a Strat may not even work for her in the future. Trust me, get her a cheap (but playable) guitar and let her develop her skills and her style. Then when she really knows what she wants she can get a nice guitar. I've people play amazing stuff on $200 cheapie off brand strats. The guitar doesn't make the player.

You've also got to get her an amp and spending the extra money on the amp would be a much better choice. A cheap guitar with a good amp will sound better than a cheap amp with a good guitar.

As for hobbies. I used to play guitar, ride motorcycles, fish, shoot, etc. Now I have young kids and all that stopped. So my hobbies are anything that can involve my children and a minimal amount of riding time when I get a change.

Mr10mm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You've also got to get her an amp and spending the extra money on the amp would be a much better choice. A cheap guitar with a good amp will sound better than a cheap amp with a good guitar.

Good to know I was going to just get a cheap amp figured they sounded the same. With my luck she will only play for a month or so and It will be on the classifieds in a few months. We are heading to guitar center after school today so we will see. Oh ya the first one she picked out was a gibson slash guitar (w/o looking at price). I had no clue what those thing cost until then.

Rajder

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good to know I was going to just get a cheap amp figured they sounded the same. With my luck she will only play for a month or so and It will be on the classifieds in a few months. We are heading to guitar center after school today so we will see. Oh ya the first one she picked out was a gibson slash guitar (w/o looking at price). I had no clue what those thing cost until then.

Yeah, you can spend a ton of money on guitars real fast. I've seen a Martin acoustic guitar that cost $100,000. Most people who start trying to learn to play don't stay with it because they don't realize how difficult it really is. Her fingers are going to really hurt until she builds up the calluses needed to play. Also, make sure she knows that things are going to progress really slowly at first. It probably took me a month to really learn my first couple of songs. Then less and less time as I continued to play. But don't spend much on the equipment until you know she is really going to continue the hobby.

Expensive American guitars are really nice but to be honest they aren't really necessary. SRV played on pieced together, worn out, pawn shop guitars and he was pretty good. Like I said, get a decent amp because it makes the bigger difference in the sound. When you buy the guitar and amp take your daughter with you and make sure it fits her. Also, if you can, bring a friend who plays to check out the guitars before you buy them. Good Luck!

Rajder

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mexican Strats are better. I see a lot of them on Craigslist. I'd start there. Just about any small amp would be pretty good to start with.

He brought up a good point. Get her a good "small" amp. Alot of good companies make good little practice amps that are perfect. A 20 watt amp will be plenty loud enough.

Latest posts

Top Bottom