Any Metal Detectors Out There?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I should probably sell a gun and buy a detector again but just can not bring myself to do it. It would get me out of the house more I guess but I never had much luck with one. Of course the one I had was an el cheapo entry level model when I was young.

BlackRifle

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Been detecting since 85. Have a Tesoro Silver Sabre and a Tesoro Cibola. Anyone thinking about getting into it,I would suggest getting a simple machine 1st. The high dollar ones are difficult to learn,and may frustrate you. Also,there is a Metal Detecting group called Central Oklahoma Metal Detecting Club. Similar to OSA. Members get together at a planned hunt,and then go out to eat.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Been detecting since 85. Have a Tesoro Silver Sabre and a Tesoro Cibola. Anyone thinking about getting into it,I would suggest getting a simple machine 1st. The high dollar ones are difficult to learn,and may frustrate you. Also,there is a Metal Detecting group called Central Oklahoma Metal Detecting Club. Similar to OSA. Members get together at a planned hunt,and then go out to eat.
The TTTHC had planted hunts for painted pennies and dimes and had prizes for them when redeemed. They had chili contests and Christmas parties. Every month they had a find of the month contest along with oldest coins, relics displays etc. More than a few times I won the century club patch with coins over 100 years old.

DFX

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's a fun hobby. You just have to find places to detect where someone would have lost what your looking for.
Wherever you go and whatever you hope to find go slow, really slow or you will miss things.

DFX

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Except for a few places i detect once every year or two, most of the placed i go are away from the OKC area.
Look for neighborhoods built from the 40's to the early 60's where houses are being remodeled.
Look for old maps on the internet and find where places used to be that are no longer there.
Always ask for permission before detecting and always fill in your holes.

GnometownHero

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My grandson and I were detecting a old neighborhood in Kansas City that was being razed for KU hospital expansion. We found 30 small brass plates with small square perforations in them. Turns out that they were harmonica reeds from back when Union troops were camped there. Apparently, churches sent care packages to troops and included harmonicas. When you are in hostile territory, you don't make noise with a harmonica and they got tossed.

Latest posts

Top Bottom