Are any Metal Detectors Out There?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Whew, glad I was not in the flash second poster here last night. It was kinda late and I quickly read the thread posted as "Are There Any Mental Detectors Out Here" Well, thinking most of us might be in big trouble for posting and even clicking "like" if there are, I need to check this thread out for sure. Yep, this is going to be a different type thread, hummm, Someone asking for a professional opinion, or the same old back and forth having opinions of other posters stuff we frequently have. Re-read, and became revealed my comprehention was not matching my eyeball speed, but it grabbed my attention to read more. Ha Ha

I had a very old, not expensive metal detector I purchased for my daughter in the mid 70s not a name brand but she had fun with it for a while finding mostly trash stuff in the yard and out camping, found a nice ring once at Keystone and some $ change, but mostly old beer pull tabs. Years later, I would pull it out stick a new 9V bat in it looking for a screw, nut, bolt, washer, spring, etc. I had dropped in the grass every once in a while while working on something. 35-40 years after that the electronic circuit died and it went in the trash.

Now I live out in the country where there was an old Indian fur trading post, a dairy farm in the area after that and later several beaches around after the lake was put in east of Tulsa and now that I have free time in my life, might be in the market for a real one if the price was reasonable. I did find an old wagon wheel hub sticking out of the ground in my yard before I hit it with my mower a few years back.

The beaches around here would most likely need a head that could be submerged. I will take a look at how common that might be. I would suspect most of the things I could find would be 1800s metal stuff if it has not rusted away. Not likely valuable stuff, but might be nifty, but there are still signs of old houses from settlements in the area from back at that time. I did see something about a small Civil War Battle a few miles from me, I think that is on COE land now. Might be neat to take a look.

Thanks OP for posting, like I need another hobby, right?

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Always wanted one as I know where there some old homesteads on private property. Never pulled the trigger until the other day. Saw one on Amazon that folded up into a small package for $260. Put it in my cart where it sat for a couple days.
Got a message from the seller that if I bought it in the next 25 minutes, the price would be $188, so it’s mine now.
Too Danged cold to go outside when it arrived so put it horizontally on a bench to see how it would react to different metals. Gold ring registered as gold, various metals also reacted favorably as the unit has settings for coins only, gold only, any metal, and jewelry.
Signals the depth and has a pinpoint feature.
One interesting thing was lead showed the same signal as gold.
So, I have to assume detectors are measuring the density of metals to determine what they are responding to?
It’s ok to use the sensor foot under water so it might be fun to try and find gold when we are in parts of the country where gold has been found in the past.
The fact it folds up into a small package makes it perfect for the RV on our trips.
Metal Detector for Adults Professional - Foldable Metal Detector with Precise Positioning and Tone Recognition, 8 Recognition Elimination Modes Gold Detector, 10” Waterproof Search Coil https://a.co/d/cDGp2X6

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have the old Whites XLT and when I saw the thread title I immediately thought I was disqualified for not having a Garrett. Then I remembered, Garrett bought out Whites!

I'm guessing they have seeded hunts for the tokens for the prizes. I looked at the flyer and the schedule but saw no fees.

golddigger14s

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom